Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Where's my "desktop" folder?

Why can't I see the "desktop" folder in the first column of the finder, when my "Home" folder is selected in the sidebar?

Posted on Aug 28, 2019 11:52 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 28, 2019 1:00 PM

Regarding seeing iCloud Drive on your computer: Finder "Go" menu > iCloud Drive.

You can also add it to the Finder sidebar. Finder menu > Preferences > Sidebar (at top of Preferences window) > iCloud Drive

If you want to create a folder that is not synced, anywhere outside of iCloud Drive will work. One example, Finder "Go" menu > Home; then File menu > New Folder will create a new folder at the top level of your Home folder.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 28, 2019 1:00 PM in response to del.frost

Regarding seeing iCloud Drive on your computer: Finder "Go" menu > iCloud Drive.

You can also add it to the Finder sidebar. Finder menu > Preferences > Sidebar (at top of Preferences window) > iCloud Drive

If you want to create a folder that is not synced, anywhere outside of iCloud Drive will work. One example, Finder "Go" menu > Home; then File menu > New Folder will create a new folder at the top level of your Home folder.

Aug 28, 2019 12:02 PM in response to FoxFifth

Yes I have!

Sorry, being a bit dumb here so let me amend the question...

I need to create a folder that's outside of my iCloud & Dropbox folders so that no synchronisation take place while I'm working on files. (I know, I can turn synchronisation off, but humour me...)

Without being able to see the iCloud Drive on my computer, it's hard for me to see what's not in it, so perhaps my question is "where is the desktop version of my iCloud Drive located? (I'm probably gonna feel pretty stoopid when the penny drops for this question, too!)

Where's my "desktop" folder?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.