Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how to type a fraction symbol in iphone

i’d like to find out how to type fraction symbols in iPhone and MacBook.

iPhone 7

Posted on Aug 30, 2019 4:32 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 30, 2019 4:59 AM

Yes she/he probably means ¼, ½, ¾, ⅓, ⅔, ⅕, ⅖, ⅗, ⅘, ⅙, ⅚, ⅛, ⅜, ⅝, ⅞, ⅐, ⅑, ⅒.

On Mac invoke the Emoji & Symbols panel (Ctrl+Command+Space) and search for fraction.

On iOS I guess you have to set a keyboard shortcut: https://medium.com/@dannymcclain/replace-typed-fractions-with-real-fractions-on-ios-and-mac-404df2c7d90b

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 30, 2019 4:59 AM in response to kb1951

Yes she/he probably means ¼, ½, ¾, ⅓, ⅔, ⅕, ⅖, ⅗, ⅘, ⅙, ⅚, ⅛, ⅜, ⅝, ⅞, ⅐, ⅑, ⅒.

On Mac invoke the Emoji & Symbols panel (Ctrl+Command+Space) and search for fraction.

On iOS I guess you have to set a keyboard shortcut: https://medium.com/@dannymcclain/replace-typed-fractions-with-real-fractions-on-ios-and-mac-404df2c7d90b

Aug 30, 2019 7:06 PM in response to Marco Klobas

Hello Marco,

Thank you very much for your prompt response to rescue me.

I followed your link at the bottom of your post and I m stuck at quote ' Click on the one that corresponds to the fraction you typed in the Replace column(ex. ). When I clicked the corresponding fraction it's highlighted but nothing happens in the Replace column in Text replacement tab. Also I can't understand your alternative method, copy and paste.

I know I'm getting there but not quite yet.

Hope I hear from you soon.

Thank you very much again.

Aug 30, 2019 10:31 PM in response to frustrated Apple baby

In the articled is written Click. Actually is Double Click, otherwise no fraction is inserted in the With column. Basically you'll set to change automatically every typed 1/2 (Replace column) to ½ (With column). The wanted fraction is picked during the setup from the Emoji & Symbols panel by double-clicking on it.

If you don't want to set the automatic replacements you can simply invoke the Emoji & Symbols panel every time you need to type a fraction, search for the desired fraction and double-click it. It will be inserted wherever is your text cursor at the moment.

The mentioned copy/paste workaround simply means that if, say, you need ½ fraction you can highlight it (here in this reply, on the article's page or wherever you find it as a text), copy in the clipboard and paste where wanted. If you're going to need them frequently this workaround is not suitable, of course.

Sep 9, 2019 12:54 AM in response to kb1951

dear kb195,

I just want to thank you for your attention to my question end of

august. I apologise for this delayed thank-you note as I have been tied up with house chores up until today.

I have received another reply from another Apple support community member who explained how to get fractions and symbols. It is most helpful.

Thanking you again.

Sep 9, 2019 1:16 AM in response to Marco Klobas

Dear Marco,

Thank you so much for your helpful explanation on how to get fraction signs and symbols.

I am so sorry for not being able to thank you earlier as I just got on back on this subject after my earlier correspondence with you.

As per your instruction when I double clicked the chosen fractions they all registered in WITH column.

It was so simple.

Thank you so much again for making my life easier and my correspondence will look smarter from now on.

with warmest regards,

how to type a fraction symbol in iphone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.