Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Suspicious email

I received an email this afternoon that seemed a bit suspicious telling me that someone was trying to gain access into my Apple account in Indonesia. It said that I should change my password or my account would be locked within 24 hours. Is this feasible

Posted on Aug 30, 2019 11:29 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 30, 2019 11:45 AM

Are you sure the message is legitimate? Does it contain a link for you to sign in somewhere? It may be a scam. 

Apple won't send you an email/text telling you your account is disabled/restricted  or will be disabled/restricted. You will find out the next time you try to log in somewhere.

Apple will always address you by your name or the name they have on file for you, not Dear Customer, Dear Client or by using your e-mail address.  The e-mail will be from @apple.com or @iTunes.com. E-mail addresses can be spoofed. You can go to Mail/View/Message/Show all Headers to see more. Apple e-mails will never contain an attachment. Apple will never request personal information by email such as Social Security numbers, your Mother’s maiden name or full credit card numbers .

The only exception to the above I have noticed is if you order something from the Apple Store (apple.com), your receipt will be addressed to Dear Apple Customer. That is a receipt for a purchase you initiated.

Avoid phishing emails, fake ‘virus‘ alerts, phony support calls, and other scams

Identifying legitimate emails from the iTunes Store

Send the e-mail to Apple as an attachment to a new e-mail before deleting it. You can forward as an attachment by going to Mail/Message/Forward as attachment. You won’t receive a response.

reportphishing@apple.com

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 30, 2019 11:45 AM in response to One600

Are you sure the message is legitimate? Does it contain a link for you to sign in somewhere? It may be a scam. 

Apple won't send you an email/text telling you your account is disabled/restricted  or will be disabled/restricted. You will find out the next time you try to log in somewhere.

Apple will always address you by your name or the name they have on file for you, not Dear Customer, Dear Client or by using your e-mail address.  The e-mail will be from @apple.com or @iTunes.com. E-mail addresses can be spoofed. You can go to Mail/View/Message/Show all Headers to see more. Apple e-mails will never contain an attachment. Apple will never request personal information by email such as Social Security numbers, your Mother’s maiden name or full credit card numbers .

The only exception to the above I have noticed is if you order something from the Apple Store (apple.com), your receipt will be addressed to Dear Apple Customer. That is a receipt for a purchase you initiated.

Avoid phishing emails, fake ‘virus‘ alerts, phony support calls, and other scams

Identifying legitimate emails from the iTunes Store

Send the e-mail to Apple as an attachment to a new e-mail before deleting it. You can forward as an attachment by going to Mail/Message/Forward as attachment. You won’t receive a response.

reportphishing@apple.com

Aug 30, 2019 12:05 PM in response to Eric Root

Dear Customer,

Your App97l30e ID was us27e97d to si30g27n in to a ne97w browser

Date and Time: August 30, 2019, 05:22 PM PDT ( Indonesia Time )

Your App97I97e lD has b30e27en Io97c30k27ed by our Ap97p30Ie Supp27o97r27t because Io30g97in unu30s27u97aI act30i27v97i27ty.

PIe30a97se ver30i27f30y acc27o97u30n27t before 24 hours after received this emai97I97,

lf you don't veri97f97y after 24 hours your App97I97e97 lD perm97a97n97e97n97tly Io97c97ked

PIeas97e97 lo97g in to Ap97p97l97e ID and cha97n97g97e97 your pas97s97w97o97rd immediately.

Thank you for your patience. 

—App97l30e27 Services Team

[Link Edited by Moderator]

Suspicious email

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.