Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mail keeps popping up

After removing my Mac mail account from the screen and starting to use Safari or other site, after a while, my mail account automatically opens again on my screen. It does not seem to have anything to do with arrival of a new message or anything. It just pops back up. How can I stop this from happening?

Posted on Sep 2, 2019 9:05 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 4, 2019 1:51 PM

Perhaps you have a setting in Mail to automatically check your mail every so often? And when that time happens Mail perhaps brings up it's own Window to show you what's new? Since you appear to be leaving Mail running and have just closed it's window, then that might be happening. If that is what is happening go to Preferences in Mail and then click on General and change the "Check for new messages" setting to Manually? With this setting you only see new mail when you click on the "Get new mail on all accounts icon" at the top left of the Mail window. Do you also hear the "new message" audio prompt when this happens? The new message audio sound is also set in the General tab of the Mail Preferences window (third from the top on my version of Mail Preferences General pane window). This did not happen during my testing but just wanted to mention about the "manual" checking of e-mail to eliminate a possible issue.

Another way this might be happening is if you use the keyboard shortcut Command+0 -- command and the zero key at the same time -- that will cause the Mail window to also appear. Perhaps you might be typing this accidentally when Mail is the active app?

Good luck...

14 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 4, 2019 1:51 PM in response to Ronald Everett

Perhaps you have a setting in Mail to automatically check your mail every so often? And when that time happens Mail perhaps brings up it's own Window to show you what's new? Since you appear to be leaving Mail running and have just closed it's window, then that might be happening. If that is what is happening go to Preferences in Mail and then click on General and change the "Check for new messages" setting to Manually? With this setting you only see new mail when you click on the "Get new mail on all accounts icon" at the top left of the Mail window. Do you also hear the "new message" audio prompt when this happens? The new message audio sound is also set in the General tab of the Mail Preferences window (third from the top on my version of Mail Preferences General pane window). This did not happen during my testing but just wanted to mention about the "manual" checking of e-mail to eliminate a possible issue.

Another way this might be happening is if you use the keyboard shortcut Command+0 -- command and the zero key at the same time -- that will cause the Mail window to also appear. Perhaps you might be typing this accidentally when Mail is the active app?

Good luck...

Sep 2, 2019 9:42 AM in response to Ronald Everett

Ronald Everet Said:

”...my mail account automatically opens again on my screen. It does not seem to have anything to do with arrival of a new message or anything. It just pops back up.

———-

Force Quit Safari:

Force Quit Safari, rather than leaving it open. Then, see if this still occurs. If so, then it’s clearly Safari doing this. To do so:

1. Go to: The Apple Menu
  2. Select: Force Quit...
  3. Select: Safari
  4. Click: Force Quit button on the bottom-right

Disassociating and eMail Account:

Disassociate this eMail account from your mail.com, then add it back.

Sep 3, 2019 8:06 PM in response to Ronald Everett

Ronald Everet Said:

I just don't want the screen to pop up when I'm working on something else.[...]There should be no reason for my email screen to pop up when I'm not using it.”

———-

Thank you for clarifying.

——

Remove your Mail Application as a Login Item

Login Applications automatically launch when you log in to your system user account. When you need to use it, open it up. Then close it once usage is complete. So, in all, rid of it as a Login Item. To do so...

1. Go To: System Preferences
  2. Select: Accounts
  3. Select: Login Items
  4. Delete: the mail application from the list

Sep 4, 2019 2:28 PM in response to Ronald Everett

Ronald Everett Said:

"When I open System Preferences, nothing shows up as Accounts."

-------

Go to: System Preferences

Select: Users & Groups: on the bottom - left of the window

Select: Login Items tab

Click: The Lock

Enter: [Your Password]

Click: Unlock button.

Select: "Mail" or the other App's Name and..

Click: the minus sign:

[Edited by Moderator]

Sep 2, 2019 10:31 AM in response to TheLittles

You seem to miss my point. I can handle all of my emails. I just don't want the screen to pop up when I'm working on something else. It just gets in the way and is distracting. I have to stop whatever I'm doing and close the email screen so I can proceed. There should be no reason for my email screen to pop up when I'm not using it. Maybe it's time to use another email system as Apple apparently has lost their ability to do anything right any more, be it mail or Safari!

Sep 4, 2019 1:29 PM in response to TheLittles

When I open System Preferences, nothing shows up as Accounts. The closest that shows is Internet Accounts and all that shows is my Internet addresses. When I searched for Login Items, it highlighted "Users and Groups". When I opened Users and Groups and clicked in Login Items, it showed a number os applications but "Mail" is not listed. How do I get from System Preferences to the mail application?

Sep 4, 2019 2:09 PM in response to dot.com

I think you've hit this one correctly. I had it set to check for mail automatically every five minutes. I took a look at how I had my previous iMac set where I never had a problem. It was set on Automatic but no time frame checked. My guess is that without a specified tine checked it will collect the new emails but not make the window open. I'm going to try that and see what happens. If it still opens the window when I don't want it to, I'll switch to the Manual setting you suggested. Thanks for your idea. I'm sure one or the other is going to do the trick.

Mail keeps popping up

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.