Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mail keeps opening up randomly - unprompted

i've been trying to research through the internet on how to remedy my mail application from randomly popping up and disturbing my workflow AND when i have windows open in full screen, the mail pops up in split screen view (even though i have "open in split-screen when in full screen" on my mail preferences checked OFF).

No remedy that the online community has suggested has worked for me and im getting frustrated with this interference as i just bought a new iMac and thought that this bug was from my old (mid-2012) Macbook Pro, , but it is not. The bug must be in the OS? because im having the same problem on my new iMac (2019).

thanks!

MacBook Pro 15", macOS 10.15

Posted on May 1, 2020 1:13 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 2, 2020 7:40 AM

monatf wrote:

i've been trying to research through the internet on how to remedy my mail application from randomly popping up and disturbing my workflow AND when i have windows open in full screen, the mail pops up in split screen view (even though i have "open in split-screen when in full screen" on my mail preferences checked OFF).

No remedy that the online community has suggested has worked for me and im getting frustrated with this interference as i just bought a new iMac and thought that this bug was from my old (mid-2012) Macbook Pro, , but it is not. The bug must be in the OS? because im having the same problem on my new iMac (2019).

thanks!

You do not say what macOS you were running on the "old (mid-2012) Macbook Pro" ...

I can only assume on the "new iMac (2019)" you are running Catalina.

The details are unclear however—

Create a different scenario for yourself, change it up some how.

for example:

Quite all open windows, (Command W), then quite the app (Command Q)

You can verify using the Command Tab (HUD—heads up display) to see all open Application .

Reboot.

Reopen your apps one at a time putting them back into your Full Screen, including Mail and put it in Full Screen mode.

You can have set Safari preferences as your "default" browser, however use an alternative browser as you main working browser— ( or vice versa if you are partial to using Safari...) all this in an effort to side step the repeating problem you have with Mail.

---------------------------------

To trouble shoot further you can:

—Try a SafeBoot https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201262

Takes noticeable longer to get to the login screen, does a 5-15 minute disk repair before it fully boots up, and certain system caches get cleared and rebuilt, including dynamic loader cache, etc. Login and test. Reboot and test as caches get rebuilt.

In Safe mode third party system modifications and system accelerations are disabled, it removes malware, etc hampering smooth operation, however a reboot will put it back to normal mode.

This test will tell you if third party interference; extensions etc are not loaded in safe boot mode.

—Test issue in another user (or guest user) account  https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204443

This will tell you if it a universal issue or isolated to your user/admin account. 

If no insight or resolve—Call (800) MY–APPLE (800–692–7753)

or on line https://getsupport.apple.com/

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 2, 2020 7:40 AM in response to monatf

monatf wrote:

thanks!

You do not say what macOS you were running on the "old (mid-2012) Macbook Pro" ...

I can only assume on the "new iMac (2019)" you are running Catalina.

The details are unclear however—

Create a different scenario for yourself, change it up some how.

for example:

Quite all open windows, (Command W), then quite the app (Command Q)

You can verify using the Command Tab (HUD—heads up display) to see all open Application .

Reboot.

Reopen your apps one at a time putting them back into your Full Screen, including Mail and put it in Full Screen mode.

You can have set Safari preferences as your "default" browser, however use an alternative browser as you main working browser— ( or vice versa if you are partial to using Safari...) all this in an effort to side step the repeating problem you have with Mail.

---------------------------------

To trouble shoot further you can:

—Try a SafeBoot https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201262

Takes noticeable longer to get to the login screen, does a 5-15 minute disk repair before it fully boots up, and certain system caches get cleared and rebuilt, including dynamic loader cache, etc. Login and test. Reboot and test as caches get rebuilt.

In Safe mode third party system modifications and system accelerations are disabled, it removes malware, etc hampering smooth operation, however a reboot will put it back to normal mode.

This test will tell you if third party interference; extensions etc are not loaded in safe boot mode.

—Test issue in another user (or guest user) account  https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204443

This will tell you if it a universal issue or isolated to your user/admin account. 

If no insight or resolve—Call (800) MY–APPLE (800–692–7753)

or on line https://getsupport.apple.com/

Mail keeps opening up randomly - unprompted

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.