Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mail opens randomly while running other fullscreen app

Has anyone experiencing the Mail app opening when your macOS is running anything fullscreen? It causes the screen to be split in two. Side by side. For example, if you're watching Apple TV, the movie will be placed to the left hand side of the screen and the Mail messages will get all the other half. [ | ]

It is pretty annoying and I couldn't guess the exact reason for that.

Then I deleted my Gmail account from Mail > Accounts and let's see what happens. If it doesn't pops up again in the middle of the TV shows I'll reply to this question sharing the result.

Btw, my system is an iMac (late 2013) running the Catalina 10.15.

Posted on Aug 2, 2021 3:49 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 2, 2021 4:41 AM

It is called Split View, and is an intended feature. You can customize it if you want it differently.

Use two Mac apps side by side in Split View - Apple Support

and

Use Do Not Disturb on your Mac - Apple Support

to (temporarily) not be notified of new emails (or quit the Mail app).

2 replies

Aug 3, 2021 11:24 PM in response to Urquhart1244

Thank you, Urquhart1244.

Split View is working fine, as it should. Thanks for the Do Not Disturb tip. It will be handy for now on.

Result:

After I removed the Gmail account, the situation did not repeat itself.

By now I am just with the iCloud account with the Mail app and everything is doing fine.

If I had to guess, I believe that some pending task on Gmail was firing the app to show its window tiled to the right of screen.

Solved.

Thanks.

Mail opens randomly while running other fullscreen app

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.