Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mail App randomly opens in split-screen

My mail app randomly opens in split screen whenever I am using my MacBook Air. I've had my MacBook for several years, haven't changed any mail settings, and have never had it set up to open automatically; however, it has randomly started opening for whatever reason. Is anyone else experiencing this issue, or does anyone have a way to fix it?

MacBook Air

Posted on Sep 29, 2019 12:53 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 29, 2019 8:53 PM

The answers in this thread in no way answers my question. However, I have discovered the issue and have corrected it.

While in the Mail App on Mac, Open the Preferences and unselect the box for "Prefer opening messages in split view when in full screen" (see screenshot). This should prevent Mail from continuing to open new emails automatically in the split view mode.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 29, 2019 8:53 PM in response to John Galt

The answers in this thread in no way answers my question. However, I have discovered the issue and have corrected it.

While in the Mail App on Mac, Open the Preferences and unselect the box for "Prefer opening messages in split view when in full screen" (see screenshot). This should prevent Mail from continuing to open new emails automatically in the split view mode.

Mail App randomly opens in split-screen

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.