Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad Pro 12.9 Screen Light Bleed

My screen also has this issue, which I've seen posted a few other places. When I took it to an Apple store, they had a technician look at it and told me the screen was fine, maybe a few bad pixels, and offered me a credit if I traded it in for a new one. It's a little over (2) years old. I've brought in the original one I bought because the touchscreen stopped responding. They replaced it on the spot. I don't understand why they're giving me the run around this time.

Posted on Sep 3, 2019 8:18 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 8, 2019 1:00 AM

Hi,

Similar story here: changed my first iPad Pro within the 1-year warranty, 9 months later got the same problem on the new machine but now out of warranty. I tried Apple Italy, Appel US and phoning on the Apple support number, nothing.

This is clearly a hardware defect which we should not be held responsible for. Unfortunately, so far I have no suggestions for you, except to pile on this and other forums where we are gathering testimonies of a generalized hardware malfunction.

Good luck to us!

176 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 8, 2019 1:00 AM in response to Keithlwood

Hi,

Similar story here: changed my first iPad Pro within the 1-year warranty, 9 months later got the same problem on the new machine but now out of warranty. I tried Apple Italy, Appel US and phoning on the Apple support number, nothing.

This is clearly a hardware defect which we should not be held responsible for. Unfortunately, so far I have no suggestions for you, except to pile on this and other forums where we are gathering testimonies of a generalized hardware malfunction.

Good luck to us!

Jun 3, 2020 4:04 PM in response to Keithlwood

I received this iPad on September 4th, 2019 (10 months ago) in Maine Mall (Portland, Maine) because my other iPad had some of this light bleeding in the borders of the screen. This first iPad was replaced as soon the Apple Employee noticed the light bleeding and told me about this hardware issue. How it is possible that in less than a year this new iPad I received from Apple is not covered anymore (even if I’m complaining about the same problem I had with the other iPad when I had Apple Care+) ? We all should escalate this issue since we paid a lot for this product and the Apple Care+.

Please all fill this feedback and send to Apple. Also call Apple support and report it.

https://www.apple.com/feedback/ipad.html

Oct 9, 2019 6:33 PM in response to Kreuzkamp

The only way to get Apple to, DIRECTLY, listen to you is to use their feedback portion of their website.

iPad Feedback

http://www.apple.com/feedback/ipad.html

Cognizant Apple employees read ALL feedback generated from all of the various feedback pages and transfers the data to the proper and responsible Apple teams and personnel, but NO Apple employees will ever respond with any type of direct, individual replies from the feedback you post.

The more users that post product feedback about any product issue, the faster Apple, in California, is made aware and starts working on a fix/solution for a futuresoftware update.

Also, you may want to phone contact Apple, directly in Cupertino, California, and calmly talk to an Apple customer service employee about this issue via the contact link below.

https://www.apple.com/contact/

Good Luck to You!

Aug 7, 2020 7:08 AM in response to alex_lukomsky

When I first posted, this thread was small, and I expected it might grow. By the standards of past manufacturing defects, however, it is still pretty short. There was a time when Apple quite generously owned its products' issues, increasing goodwill and helping it to grow into the enormous profitability it now enjoys. Sadly, such enormity can also enable a certain indifference. It seems that more users will have to report the issue (https://www.apple.com/feedback/ipad.html) in order to wake the giant. That appears to be how it's worked in the past.

Jan 12, 2020 6:07 PM in response to Keithlwood

Same thing on my second generation iPad Pro 12.9: screen bleed on left side (held vertically). Mine has been in a quite sturdy aftermarket leather case, covering front and back -- and that always placed in a padded laptop case for any travel. No dents, scratches, or signs of ill use. I've always babied it, as its price justified exercising a high standard of care.

Apple product once was renowned for longevity. I recently disposed of a working LC computer, which those of you who go way back may remember. Still keep a fully functional G3 Blueberry iMac around in the event I feel the need for Classic Mode.

Hope they do something to change this. I've reported it to Apple through the feedback link provided earlier in this thread.

Aug 6, 2020 7:47 PM in response to Keithlwood

I’m glad I saw this thread. I also got hit with this exact issue. I have the iPad Pro 12.9” 2nd Gen bought 1 year and 9 months ago. It started with one spot in the top corner about 3-ish months ago and has spread to 4 or 5 other spots. Always the top left corner, and always along the side that connects with the Smart Keyboard. I always have my iPad in the case and take very good care of my electronics.

I first called Apple Support on the phone and spoke with someone who recommended I take it into the store. Of course COVID-19 put a damper on that for about a month. Finally I was able to get a spot on the schedule. The tech ran diagnostics and concluded that it was not caused by the user, but they could not admit it was a manufacturing defect. The only two options I was given at that time was; send it in to be serviced which means it would more than likely be replaced with the exact same model and I would have to pay $650, or option 2, buy a brand new iPad and trade this one in for $270.

I was bummed. I did some searching and found this thread, then I spoke with two more people through Apple chat support. The first guy was not helpful at all. Kind of a jerk actually. The second guy actually listened, but still recommended I take it back into the store and speak to a manager. I told him I didn’t want to be that guy. He said, ‘no really, this is what you need to do.‘ My local store was booked solid so I had to drive more than an hour to another Apple Store. I spoke with a tech and then a manager.

Bottomline, Apple doesn’t recognize this as a manufacturing defect. I refused to swap this out with the exact same model based on what I read here because I would have the same issue in another 1.5-ish years.

I bought a brand new iPad Pro and am trading this one in. Everyone I spoke to in-person said they would honor the $270 credit. We’ll see if that happens. I’m still not happy about this whole situation.

Sep 3, 2019 12:16 PM in response to Keithlwood

This is really a little known issue.

This is definitely NOT a common issue.

Sorry.

We do not see too many post on this issue here in the iPad communities and I am here pretty much on and off every single day.

Apple Stores may NOT budge on their repair policies.

Sorry.

And Apple stores do not repair iPads, but offer replacement iPads as the ONLY repair option.

If you do not have any free, one-year AppleCare left on that iPad and you never purchased the extended, two-year AppleCare+, Apple is going to charge you an out-of-warranty iPad replacement as repair at the cost of approx. 60% of that iPad's original cost, plus tax.

If you had purchased extended AppleCare+, a replacement iPad would have only cost a smaller replacement fee of $49 U.S.D..

So, Best of Luck to You!

Oct 9, 2019 3:21 PM in response to MichelPM

It seems like it’s becoming more common. My 12.9 in iPad Pro has recently started having this problem too. It bugs me, but I really want to make sure it doesn’t get worse. I’ve probably owned at least 30 Apple devices in the past, and I’ve never seen this issue before, yet a quick search shows it’s happening to a lot of people on this specific iPad Pro model. Is there a way to report these issues to Apple so they know it’s happening?

iPad Pro 12.9 Screen Light Bleed

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.