Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I am trying to install Windows 10 on my Macbook Pro using Boot Camp. I continually get an error message that says "Need 64-bit Windows 10 or later ISO file." HELP

I cannot install Windows 10 on my Macbook Pro running macOS Mojave and using Boot Camp. I have created a Windows 10 ISO file on a USB thumb drive using the Windows Creation Tool. I then copied the ISO file to the Macbook Desktop and started Boot Camp. I clicked continue, Boot Camp found the ISO file and I reset the partition (the Mac has a 1GB SSD). When I click install, I get an error message "Need 64-bit Windows 10 or later ISO file." How do I proceed?

Posted on Sep 3, 2019 9:21 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 4, 2019 6:35 AM

You can download a genuine official Windows 10 ISO directly from Microsoft website and do this directly on the Mac in maCOS.

See - https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10ISO

You can then in Boot Camp Assistant select this ISO.

Similar questions

4 replies

Sep 4, 2019 10:42 AM in response to John Lockwood

Yes, that is exactly what was needed. I tried half a dozen times to follow Apple's directions to the letter which included creating a Windows 10 ISO file on a thumb drive and copying it to the Mac desktop. Always, always, Boot Camp said the ISO file was not 64 bit, which it was. So, I found an article on the web that said I should download the ISO file directly to the Mac and then run Boot Camp. Worked like a champ!

I have no idea why Apple doesn't change their Boot Camp directions. Downloading directly to the Mac is easier and most importantly, it works!

Thank you for your suggestion.

I am trying to install Windows 10 on my Macbook Pro using Boot Camp. I continually get an error message that says "Need 64-bit Windows 10 or later ISO file." HELP

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.