Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Font Book is displaying the incorrect font names for internal font styles, making the font undetectable in Photoshop – help! :)

I've installed a client font for a project, in Finder all the font styles all show up with the correct names:

However, when I upload them to Font Book, it names them all as 'Regular' in style;

This obviously renders them as undetectable in Photoshop, and even if I use a 'Regular' style, the ligatures are also different. Is there any way to change the naming convention of the styles within Font Book to make them match the font name themselves? I'd be soooo grateful for your help!

Posted on Sep 4, 2019 5:53 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 4, 2019 6:47 AM

Looked them up. Yes, they're only available for purchase.

But, my guess would be you're having the same issue as in this topic:

Font variants as separate fonts on Mojave… - Apple Community

Bad, bad, bad internal names. As you'll see in the linked topic, Regular is assigned to about half of the font set. Neither Font Book or your apps can figure out how to sort them because the names all overlap. For a purchased font set, that's some very poor work with the internal naming structure.

Similar questions

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 4, 2019 6:47 AM in response to kerrylyons

Looked them up. Yes, they're only available for purchase.

But, my guess would be you're having the same issue as in this topic:

Font variants as separate fonts on Mojave… - Apple Community

Bad, bad, bad internal names. As you'll see in the linked topic, Regular is assigned to about half of the font set. Neither Font Book or your apps can figure out how to sort them because the names all overlap. For a purchased font set, that's some very poor work with the internal naming structure.

Sep 4, 2019 8:43 AM in response to Kurt Lang

Thank you for sending a couple of them. That's all I needed to confirm the expected mess. Here's the internal names for the Bold and Extra Bold versions.

All I can say is, HUH!?

They left the family name scrunched together without any spaces between the words. Why would you do that? There was no need for a Master name.

And then they're completely nonsensical. For the Bold version, why is it called Regular 4 in the Full and PostScript name, but 9 in the Style Group?

This is how Bold should have looked:

I'm afraid there isn't much you can do about it. I'm sure the license prohibits any type of modification of the fonts. I'd sure complain to the author though about this naming disaster. If they all look like this, and I would bet they do, I'm surprised they all show up in your app's font lists.

Whatever this designer was smoking, I want some of it.

Sep 4, 2019 7:47 AM in response to kerrylyons

Just because I'm curious enough to confirm, would you mind sending three or four of them to:

retoucher at jklstudios dot com

I'd like to look over the internal names to see what's going on. Believe me, I have no intention of keeping or using them. I already have somewhere in the range of 12 to 15 thousand purchased and free fonts. Of which I use Times New Roman and, well, that's almost all I ever personally use. The rest are on hand to have legal copies when doing client work.

Font Book is displaying the incorrect font names for internal font styles, making the font undetectable in Photoshop – help! :)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.