Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

In Firewall Options should I Block Incoming Connections

In Firewall Options I have myself blocked the following ARDAgent, Google Chrome, Microsoft Excel and Microsoft Word. I know there was a reason I did this but I can't remember LOL, I use Google Chrome everyday and don't seem to have any problems other than it's listed twice in my Notifications. What I allowed are Printer Sharing, com.apple.Webkit.Networking.xpc (no idea what this is) , IMAgent.app, Installer.app, Itunes.app and Safari.app. Can anyone tell me if I did something wrong or suggest what I should allow or should not allow under. Also there is a tab that I can check which says Block All Incoming Connections, should I use it? I am not very good with the computer workings.

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Sep 7, 2019 11:11 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 7, 2019 11:36 AM

The firewall that you control under Security & Privacy is a software firewall on your Mac that assists with controlling which applications that can have access through this firewall when enabled. Unless you have a specific reason to do so, it's better to just leave the Firewall disabled all together. However, you may have reasons to do so otherwise. If that's the case, you should understand each app that you enable to understand what impacts doing so will occur. If you're not sure, then don't enable them. It's that simple.

The "Block All Incoming Connections," if enabled, will do exactly that. Any inbound application-related traffic will not be allowed to access your Mac.

The bottom line is if you don't know or aren't sure, then don't enable the firewall. You should have good reasons to do so.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 7, 2019 11:36 AM in response to momluvstv

The firewall that you control under Security & Privacy is a software firewall on your Mac that assists with controlling which applications that can have access through this firewall when enabled. Unless you have a specific reason to do so, it's better to just leave the Firewall disabled all together. However, you may have reasons to do so otherwise. If that's the case, you should understand each app that you enable to understand what impacts doing so will occur. If you're not sure, then don't enable them. It's that simple.

The "Block All Incoming Connections," if enabled, will do exactly that. Any inbound application-related traffic will not be allowed to access your Mac.

The bottom line is if you don't know or aren't sure, then don't enable the firewall. You should have good reasons to do so.

In Firewall Options should I Block Incoming Connections

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.