Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Hacked email address required me to change my address. When I downloaded the recent iCloud update on my laptop the "sign in" is imbedded with the bad email address. How do I fix?

I had to change a hacked email address. When I downloaded the recent iCloud drive update on my laptop, I need to re-sign into iCloud. However, the OLD/BAD email address is imbedded in the field and only always entries into the password field. How do I fix this? Doing it from my iPhone doesn't work.

Posted on Sep 7, 2019 7:26 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 8, 2019 12:22 PM

Did you make a name change to your old Apple ID or did you create a new Apple ID? If you made a name change to your existing ID, have you tried signing out if the App Store/iTunes and then back in? If you created a new ID, those purchases are tied to the other ID and can't be transferred. One option is to delete the apps/purchases made by the other ID and download them using the new ID if desired. If necessary, check your purchases history to see which apps/purchases weren’t made by the current ID. 

Purchase History Review

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 8, 2019 12:22 PM in response to TheDream

Did you make a name change to your old Apple ID or did you create a new Apple ID? If you made a name change to your existing ID, have you tried signing out if the App Store/iTunes and then back in? If you created a new ID, those purchases are tied to the other ID and can't be transferred. One option is to delete the apps/purchases made by the other ID and download them using the new ID if desired. If necessary, check your purchases history to see which apps/purchases weren’t made by the current ID. 

Purchase History Review

Sep 16, 2019 3:26 PM in response to TheDream

If you are using a completely new address, you will need to purchase everything again.

For the laptop you may need to do a backup, preferable 2 separate ones on 2 drives. Boot to the Recovery Volume (command - R on a restart). Run Disk Utility/First Aid. Reformat the drive using Disk Utility/Erase. Use Mac OS Extended (Journaled), then click the Option button and select GUID. Quit Disk Utility, then re-install the OS.

Reinstall from macOS Recovery

OS X Recovery

When you reboot, use Setup Assistant to restore your data.

Sep 16, 2019 3:18 PM in response to Eric Root

Eric -sorry for not responding earlier, I've been out of pocket. Yes, my old email address was my original Apple ID. It's only my laptop that won't let me insert the new Apple ID as the field is not changeable.

Sounds like you're saying any music, ring tones, apps, etrc. will be lost and I'll need to purchase again?

Thanks so much for your input.

Hacked email address required me to change my address. When I downloaded the recent iCloud update on my laptop the "sign in" is imbedded with the bad email address. How do I fix?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.