Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Will I lose Mail folders or iTunes playlists if I reinstall Mojave?

I am having multiple issues with my iMac and it has been suggested in conversations with Apple that I reinstall the OS. I did not ask at the time if I will lose my Mail folders and/or my iTunes playlists. I assume programs and data will remain (but I backup using Backblaze so I am prepared if I lose anything), but it has occurred to me that programs installed as part of the OS may not save preferences. So I'm wondering what I may lose in the reinstall even if it goes perfectly. And if I lose something like folders and Mail rules, is there a way to get them back without having to recreate them all?

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Sep 7, 2019 9:46 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 7, 2019 11:06 PM

As long as you are talking about just a reinstall of macOS Mojave and not erasing your drive, it should be no problem. I have reinstalled macOS quite a few times over the years and have never lost anything. Seeing as you have your data backed up, you should be good to go.

Reinstall macOS - Apple Support

2 replies

Sep 7, 2019 10:36 PM in response to Guavaman55

Well it depends. If you created you mail folders on your email account and not the Mac, then no. That would be saved to you email server.

The same can be true foe the play lists. If you are using a music subscription, probably not. That service can save those. If you just created on the Mac, that’s another story

Best of luck

Will I lose Mail folders or iTunes playlists if I reinstall Mojave?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.