Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I just add a column of numbers in Numbers

I just want to use Numbers to keep track of household expenses. For the life of me I cannot figure out how to simply add a column of numbers to get a total. So simple, yet so far away!

Posted on Sep 8, 2019 4:47 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 8, 2019 5:36 PM

You can do something like this:

Choose Sum:

Giving you this:

The resulting formula in B6 is:

=SUM(B)

You could also type that formula directly into the cell rather than choosing from the Toolbar.

But if you're tracking expenses you don't need to reinvent the wheel. Highly recommend you take a look at the excellent 'Personal Budget' template at File > New in your menu. Post any questions you have about how to use it and adapt it to your needs.

Also have at look at Help > Numbers Help and Help > Formulas and Functions Help.

SG

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 8, 2019 5:36 PM in response to christineavatar

You can do something like this:

Choose Sum:

Giving you this:

The resulting formula in B6 is:

=SUM(B)

You could also type that formula directly into the cell rather than choosing from the Toolbar.

But if you're tracking expenses you don't need to reinvent the wheel. Highly recommend you take a look at the excellent 'Personal Budget' template at File > New in your menu. Post any questions you have about how to use it and adapt it to your needs.

Also have at look at Help > Numbers Help and Help > Formulas and Functions Help.

SG

Sep 9, 2019 6:32 AM in response to christineavatar

Hi Christine,

SG's suggestion to insert a Footer Row shows the charm of Numbers.

It took me a long time to understand that Numbers (unlike Excel) is based around several small tables, each with a purpose.

A formula in a Footer Row (or a Header Row) is isolated from all the"Body" (non Header and non Footer) rows in that table. Therefore there is no "self reference" error. A formula can refer to a whole column in a table and we don't need to specify a range of cells.

The formula automatically "expands" if we include extra body rows.

And the formula automatically "shrinks" if we delete body rows.

Please call back with questions.

Regards,

Ian

How do I just add a column of numbers in Numbers

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.