Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

FCPX 10.4.6 crashes mac pro while browsing video or audio

Hi all,

I can't seem to find a solution to this issue. My Mac Pro 5.1 crashes irregularly while I'm scanning audio or video clips in the browser. Audio keeps playing, but the clock freezes and basically the whole computer freezes. The mouse pointer I can keep moving, but I have to force shut down the computer then restart it.

Can't see any related warnings or errors in the console. All onboard hardware seems to be fine.

Any idea what may cause this and is there a solution at all?

Thanks in advance!

Richard.

Posted on Sep 9, 2019 2:42 AM

9 replies

Sep 9, 2019 3:36 AM in response to Alchroma

Different specs, some are 4K from a Sony FS7, some are HD from a Sony EX3. They are all imported from an internal SSD RAID0. Either stored inside the FCPX Library, or to test, saved in their original folder.

Audio is recorded in Logic and also either stored in the FCPX Library, or in their original folder. This error happens in both situations. Audio is all 48KHz.

With the 4K files it doesn't matter if I use the optimized/original or the proxy files.

Sep 9, 2019 6:25 AM in response to Alchroma

Yeah it is getting mature this machine haha, saving up for the next Mac Pro...

The RAID has 4TB capacity and only 800GB is in use.

It is just such a seemingly random problem as the machine hardly uses RAM for instance when just scanning the footage.

I've pimped up the machine over the last 2 years with a new graphics card, extra ram, USB3.1 card, all 5 internal HD are SSD. So I had hoped the machine would last me for another year or so. It can run a day with editing without any hickups and next day it happens 3 times in an hour.

Sep 9, 2019 7:04 AM in response to richardfromrotterdam

What are these two below?

pdudf.kext (5.04.0d003 - SDK 10.6)

pdudfr.kext (5.04.0d003 - SDK 10.6)

Third party system extensions, especially ones that were made for a system that is some ten years old, can cause crashes,

Not only they are very old, I could not find much about them. Do you have any idea what they are for?

The MOTU extensions are very old.

Also, the Wacom extension is old (and installed on a location where only Apple provided extensions should be).

I expect that at least Wacom should have more recent software; not sure about MOTU.

Sep 9, 2019 7:54 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

Those PDU extensions were for a Sony XDCAM HD drive to be able to ingest footage from those old XDCAM discs. I have had a look for Wacom and did find a new driver, for the MOTU audio box this is the latest as far as I know.

I'll delete the PDU extensions as I don't use that drive anymore. I am now installing the Wacom driver and see if those things will help.

Thanks!

FCPX 10.4.6 crashes mac pro while browsing video or audio

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.