Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Activation Lock - Too late in Setup process

Why doesn't Apple put the activation lock screen at the beginning of the setup process?

So I fell for it and bought a locked Ipad. I had conducted some research about buying used Ipads, but had forgot most of it. So when I was looking at this ipad from this guy, I turned it on it was reset. I clicked English, then U.S., then I was for quick start and to connect my iphone, my iphone buzzed and asked to connect with the ipad. At this point I thought I was clear, wrong. I left then connected the devices, then the ipad asked for my iphone passcode and I punched it in. Then the activation lock screen came up. I messed up.

Why I don't understand is why apple wouldn't put the activation lock screen at the beginning of the setup process. This would instantly notify any buyer that the ipad is locked. If language is the problem, then they could default in the last used language and have symbol with someone speaking that takes you to the select a different language page. I believe this would prevent more people from getting scammed like myself. Also why would apple have me go through the trouble of quickstart with my iphone and putting in my passcode on the new ipad if activation lock is on? Why wait till 3 steps in to notify the person that the device is locked. Maybe there is a good reason they can't do this, but it would definitely prevent a lot of people like myself from getting scammed.

Anyways, I learned the hard way.

Thanks for reading.

Posted on Sep 9, 2019 8:37 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 9, 2019 8:49 PM

Hello,

While we are not associated with Apple I can only provide my opinions. Activation Lock is displayed once the user has selected a language and connected itself to a network. This is so iPad can display and messages in the user’s specified language. Once iPad is connected to a network then it can check with Apple to see if Activation Lock is still valid on the device or if the pervious user has removed the device from their Apple ID. Most likely if you purchased this iPad secondhand and it is Activation Locked then there is a very good change you purchased a stolen iPad. If you purchased this device from a service like eBay then you can request to refund your purchase or file a complaint with its seller.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 9, 2019 8:49 PM in response to 43chivos

Hello,

While we are not associated with Apple I can only provide my opinions. Activation Lock is displayed once the user has selected a language and connected itself to a network. This is so iPad can display and messages in the user’s specified language. Once iPad is connected to a network then it can check with Apple to see if Activation Lock is still valid on the device or if the pervious user has removed the device from their Apple ID. Most likely if you purchased this iPad secondhand and it is Activation Locked then there is a very good change you purchased a stolen iPad. If you purchased this device from a service like eBay then you can request to refund your purchase or file a complaint with its seller.

Activation Lock - Too late in Setup process

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.