Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Deleted items not showing in Trash.

My name is Terri. My MacBook Pro is running High Sierra 10.13.6 13" late 2011. Please help! Deleted items are not showing in trash since upgrading to H Sierra. This began gradually now trash is always empty. I am now running out of space! When I delete say 50 files, the trash either continues to show empty or maybe one file. Where are my deleted files going?

I have read other posts regarding this problem and have checked and confirm that I do have read/write privilege. Also 'lock' is unticked. I stopped backing up to Time Machine because I don't want to back up things that may be causing a problem. Recently I installed ClamAX which found some infected files which have now been quarantined and deleted. I am sure trash overload is causing my many problems. I don't know anything about the 'terminal' investigation. 'Mail' has stopped working and all of my accounts are knocked off line even though I'm showing a good signal. So at the moment I'm using webmail. Please help. Thank you, Terri

MacBook Pro

Posted on Sep 10, 2019 1:05 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 10, 2019 3:08 PM

Good to hear. :)

Deleted eMails go wherever they're pointed to go in Mail>Prefs>Accounts>Mailbox Behaviors, & trashed per directions there.

Let's see what is what on your drive...

How much free space is on the HD, where has all the space gone?

OmniDiskSweeper is likely the easiest/best, and is now free...

https://www.omnigroup.com/more/

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 10, 2019 3:08 PM in response to BebopLondon

Good to hear. :)

Deleted eMails go wherever they're pointed to go in Mail>Prefs>Accounts>Mailbox Behaviors, & trashed per directions there.

Let's see what is what on your drive...

How much free space is on the HD, where has all the space gone?

OmniDiskSweeper is likely the easiest/best, and is now free...

https://www.omnigroup.com/more/

Sep 10, 2019 11:50 AM in response to BDAqua

Thank you for 'Safe Boot' suggestion. This has helped. The trash is now working for documents I'm deleting as of today, but where are all the other hundreds of items I deleted, which I think are still taking all my space?

Also do you know where deleted emails go? In Mail, when I delete from In-box, sent-box and email folders, the emails then go to Mail trash. I then 'select all' and delete. Mail trash is then empty. The deleted emails do not arrive in Desktop trash. So does 'Mail trash' permanently erase?

Deleted items not showing in Trash.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.