Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Yahoo search engine virus

I have some kind of a worm that keeps redirecting my internet searches from my chosen engine to the yahoo search engine. I can stop it for awhile but it always returns eventually. I use a MacBook pro with OS 10.3.6 Can't find this addressed in a way that has resolved it in general on-line search (now limited to a yahoo search of course)! Help!

Posted on Sep 10, 2019 6:26 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 10, 2019 6:28 AM

Download and run Malwarebytes. Malwarebytes was developed by one of our own colleagues here in ASC and is about the most proven anti-malware software for Mac. All you need is the free version.

After that restart your ac and then go to Safari > Preferences > Search and choose the search engine you want.

46 replies

Dec 1, 2019 12:47 PM in response to WebsiteLoadingIssues

WebsiteLoadingIssues Said:

"Couldn't agree more! Come on Google, help us out!"

-------

Google is a Third-Party --- It is NOT part of Apple. So, contact Google of this.

Google Contact Info: Contact Us - Google - Customer Support

-----

As for Apple Safari:

Try Clearing your Temporary Internet Files (Cookies & Cache):

• Cookies perform remembrance of certain site-entered data.
  • Cache keeps a snapshot of the last time you visited a site.

Use this Link: Clearing History and Cache - Apple Communities

Feb 16, 2020 10:30 AM in response to Steve_GP200

Malwarebytes for Mac will remove the adware.

But a user has to take additional step to remove this completely

Go step by step and test.

1. Check for adware.

Run the latest release of Malwarebytes for Mac to remove malware/adware, if installed on your Mac.

For instructions:  Install Malwarebytes for Mac v4     Uninstall Malwarebytes for Mac

Click the “Scan Now” button. Once done, quit Malwarebytes for Mac.

Restart the computer and relaunch Safari holding the shift key down.

Remove unknown profiles (1), unknown login items(@) unknown extensions(3), reset search engine (4)

and reset Homepage (5 & 6)  listed under Additional steps.

2. Additional steps to take, if necessary.

1. Remove unknown profiles.

System Preferences > Profiles

Open System Preferences, click the “Profiles” icon ( a checkmark on a gear) .

When Profiles pane opens, select the unknown profile and click the minus button at the bottom.

2. Remove unknown Login item.

System Preferences > Users & Groups > Login items

Authenticate and unlock the lock.

Select the unknown login item and click the “-“ button at the bottom left to remove it.   

3. Remove unknown extensions:  Safari > Preferences > Extensions

https://support.apple.com/guide/safari/use-safari-extensions-sfri32508/mac

4. Reset search engine:    https://support.apple.com/guide/safari/customize-your-search-ibrwe75c2a3c/mac

Change Home Page

5. Reset  Homepage.   https://support.apple.com/guide/safari/set-your-homepage-ibrw1020/mac  

Section: If Safari's home page is stuck

6. Ref: https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topic/236261-how-to-remove-weknow-malware-and-others/

7. Shutdown the computer from  menu. Start your Mac using the Power button..

Jan 31, 2020 2:23 PM in response to macjack

Thank you so much! It cleared the darn virus. I suspect mine came with an "Adobe Flash download" that was disguised as "click here to download" the document I sought. Once clicked, my screen flashed with all kinds of prompts for Flash update, etc., and too fast for me to see all of them. It also changed my default safari homepage to Apple Support homepage which raised all kinds of red flags, especially not knowing if the page was even a legitimate one. This happened mid-January. While I was able to reset my defaults in safari, I only noticed yesterday that I couldn't use Google search cuz it kept redirecting me back to yahoo search...so irritating and annoying. Researching fixes returned many other "recommendations," but thankfully I found this before acting on one. This one worked for my MacPro OS X El Capitan! I also deleted the Flash Player update file that seemed to have sparked this nonsense. So, fingers-crossed going forward.

Lesson learned: if a page has too many Click Here and Download buttons, get out of there.

Apr 17, 2020 2:12 PM in response to duanefromri

I have some kind of a worm that keeps redirecting my internet searches from my chosen engine to the yahoo search engine. I can stop it for awhile but it always returns eventually. I use a MacBook pro with OS 10.3.6 Can't find this addressed in a way that has resolved it in general on-line search (now limited to a yahoo search of course)! Help!

Yahoo search engine virus

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.