Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook suddenly slow and laggy

Hello,

I have had my macbook air for about 4 years now and never had a problem with it. In fact even last night it was working perfectly as usual. Suddenly this morning my mac was noticeably slow and laggy. I dont know what is the cause of this so I tried everything online, from freeing up space, to factory resets, and even reinstalling Mac OS. I am therefore worried that this could be a hardware issue which costs a fortune. How can the mac just suddenly stop working like that?? Any help on this would be much appreciated! Here are details of my mac:

Macbook Air 13 inch bought in 2015

Processor 1.6 GHz Intel Core i5

Memory 4 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

Startup Disk Macintosh HD

Graphics Intel HD Graphics 6000 1536 MB

I did a disk utility first aid and yielded the following:

NOTE: First Aid will temporarily lock the startup volume.

Verifying file system.

Volume could not be unmounted.

Using live mode.

Performing fsck_apfs -n -l -x /dev/rdisk1s1

Checking the container superblock.

Checking the EFI jumpstart record.

Checking the space manager.

Checking the space manager free queue trees.

Checking the object map.

Checking volume.

Checking the APFS volume superblock.

The volume Macintosh HD was formatted by hfs_convert (748.21.6) and last modified by apfs_kext (945.275.7).

Checking the object map.

Checking the snapshot metadata tree.

Checking the snapshot metadata.

Checking the extent ref tree.

Checking the fsroot tree.

error: directory valence check: directory (oid 0x13): nchildren (1) does not match drec count (0)

warning: directory valence check: directory (oid 0x12dc7a7): orphan directory record

warning: directory valence check: directory (oid 0x12dc7a7): orphan directory record

error: btn: invalid btn_btree.bt_key_count (expected 6202913, actual 6202963)

fsroot tree is invalid.

The volume /dev/rdisk1s1 could not be verified completely.

File system check exit code is 0.

Restoring the original state found as mounted.

Operation successful.

Thanks!

MacBook Air

Posted on Sep 11, 2019 12:32 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 11, 2019 8:46 PM

Boot into Recovery Mode using Command + R and run Disk Utility First Aid to see if it can be repaired. If Disk Utility cannot repair the volume, then you need to back everything up since Apple has not released the necessary APFS documentation so third party utilities can repair an APFS volume. The only option is to boot into Recovery Mode again and erase the drive and reinstall macOS or restore from backup.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 11, 2019 8:46 PM in response to zeid225

Boot into Recovery Mode using Command + R and run Disk Utility First Aid to see if it can be repaired. If Disk Utility cannot repair the volume, then you need to back everything up since Apple has not released the necessary APFS documentation so third party utilities can repair an APFS volume. The only option is to boot into Recovery Mode again and erase the drive and reinstall macOS or restore from backup.

Macbook suddenly slow and laggy

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.