Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro High Sierra 2011 restart problem

MacBook Pro (15 Zoll, Ende 2011)

macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 (17G14042)

Problem: Mac on a regular basis independent of what task it's performing crashes and restarts.

The start screen with the Apple Logo then has fine blue-grey lines which also go through the Apple Logo.

Usually the first couple of times the start up process ends up in a blue screen.

I tried all known shortcuts (Cmd, Alt, P, R + Start; Shift, Ctrl, Alt + Start, etc.

Reinstallation of macOS helps for a while but then the problem occurs again.

When I do "exotic" things like use the WhatsApp desktop App the problem occurs much faster.

Etre Check result:

Hard drive too slow - The hard drive in this computer is too slow.

Obsolete hardware - This computer may be considered obsolete.

SSD too slow - SSD is showing poor performance.

High battery cycle count - Your battery may be losing capacity.

Unsigned files - There are unsigned software files installed. Apple has said that unsigned software will not run

by default in a future version of the operating system.

System modifications - There are a large number of system modifications running in the background. Runaway user process - A user process is using a large percentage of your CPU.

32-bit Apps - This computer has 32-bits apps will not work on current versions of the operating system. Kernel extensions present - This computer has kernel extensions that may not work in the future.

Hardware Information:

MacBook Pro (15-inch, Late 2011) - Obsolete! MacBook Pro Model: MacBookPro8,2

2,2 GHz Intel Core i7 (i7-2675QM) CPU: 4-core 8 GB RAM - At maximum

BANK 0/DIMM0 - Empty

BANK 1/DIMM0 - 8 GB DDR3 1600

Battery: Health = Normal - Cycle count = 1014

Unsigned Files:

Launchd: /Library/LaunchDaemons/de.avm.plc.service.plist Executable: /opt/avm/plc/bin/service

Details: Exact match found in the legitimate list - probably OK

Launchd: /Library/LaunchDaemons/com.avg.hub.schedule.plist

Executable: /Library/Application Support/AVGHUB/com.avg.hub.app/Contents/scripts/schedule.sh --ttl 14400 Details: Exact match found in the legitimate list - probably OK

Launchd: /Library/Application Support/AVGHUB/com.avg.hub.app/Contents/scripts/com.avg.hub.schedule.plist Executable: /Library/Application Support/AVGHUB/com.avg.hub.app/Contents/scripts/schedule.sh --ttl 14400 Details: Exact match found in the legitimate list - probably OK

32-bit Applications:

6 32-bit apps

Kernel Extensions:

/Library/Extensions

ufsd_NTFS.kext - com.paragon-software.filesystems.ntfs (Paragon Software GmbH, 15.8.105 - SDK 10.10)

I have deinstalled the AVG and the NTFS for Mac Apps which was not solving the problem.

Any suggestions how I could solve this problem?

Thank you very much!

MacBook Pro

Posted on May 10, 2021 2:32 AM

Similar questions

11 replies

May 10, 2021 7:14 AM in response to joharder

Uninstall AVG per their directions , then run etrecheck again to see what chaff it left...

On AVG & Avast…

https://x704.net/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=8803&p=115715&hilit=avg#p115715

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/251454104?answerId=252862395022#252862395022

In etrecheck is there a Clean up: section?

Have you blown the dust out of the intakes lately?

What temperatures does this App report? Especially the GPU.

This App can be used to speed up the fans, all my iMacs would be dead without it.

Never ever ever drop fan speeds below the speed that the Mac itself is calling for.

MacFansControl…

https://www.crystalidea.com/macs-fan-control

Could easily be failing HDD and/or Video card.

Safe Boot, (holding Shift key down at startup), does the problem occur in Safe Mode?

May 13, 2021 3:28 AM in response to BDAqua

Hi BDAqua,

just prepared another EtreCheck report which is attached below.

Most of the AVG files disappeared except for:

/Library/LaunchDaemons/de.avm.plc.service.plist

Executable: /opt/avm/plc/bin/service

I found the files in the listed folder should I delete them manually?

So far I removed AVG, WhatsApp desktop and Mcafee antivirus.

The problem also occurs in "safe mode".

I also noted that when I ran EtreCheck this time the temperature went up during the system test to max. 72 degrees Celsius. Before it went up to max. 95 degrees Celsius.

Will try a couple of tricky apps today and let you know what happens.

May 11, 2021 11:49 PM in response to BDAqua

Hi BDAqua, thanks a lot for your suggestions!

I deleted AVG.

In the EtreCheck report the AVG "unsigned files" still appear although I removed AVG with their uninstall utility.

Unsigned Files:

Launchd: /Library/LaunchDaemons/de.avm.plc.service.plist Executable: /opt/avm/plc/bin/service

Details: Exact match found in the legitimate list - probably OK

Launchd: /Library/LaunchDaemons/com.avg.hub.schedule.plist

Executable: /Library/Application Support/AVGHUB/com.avg.hub.app/Contents/scripts/schedule.sh --ttl 14400 Details: Exact match found in the legitimate list - probably OK

Launchd: /Library/Application Support/AVGHUB/com.avg.hub.app/Contents/scripts/com.avg.hub.schedule.plist Executable: /Library/Application Support/AVGHUB/com.avg.hub.app/Contents/scripts/schedule.sh --ttl 14400 Details: Exact match found in the legitimate list - probably OK

Login Item: ~/Library/Mobile Documents/com~apple~CloudDocs Login Item: /Volumes/w********************e

Also installed MacFansControl. The inside of my MacBook Pro is very clean including the intakes.

After this I rebooted and launched right away WhatsApp desktop. The MacBook immediately crashed (screen freeze).

The restart was this time very difficult and cumbersome.

Afterwards uninstalled WhatsApp desktop.

Regarding your comment about HDD and/or Video card:

When I bought the MacBook at the end of last year from a friend it ran smoothly.

The problem occurred first time when I attached an external USB laser disc drive.

After that reinstalled OS but the problem reoccurred ever since although I never used the USB disc again.

Video card: sometimes during the restarting attempts, I get little yellow or pink dots around the Apple log and the status bar, or the fine grey-blue lines across the whole screen. Never both effects. Could that be a sign of a defective video card?

Would it help if I sent you the whole EtreCheck report?

Thanks again for your help!

All the best,

Joachim

MacBook Pro High Sierra 2011 restart problem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.