Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why is Macbook Air 2014 crashing bi-monthly, startup disk missing and OS Re-install required?

Mac Air 2014 running 11.6.4, recently upgraded with OWC Aura 240GB hard drive and battery. Power cord is also frayed.

Story: Couple months ago had issue with Apple ID not verifying when logging in system preferences. After much troubleshooting with the Geniuses, it was decided I must format my hard drive. The poor girl never woke up. Restart in recovery no longer recognized the presence of a hard drive, therefore no where to reinstall OS. I had a notable amount of trouble restarting in recovery using the various methods, reseting NVRAM and PRAM. Probably powered computer on and off 40 times over 24 hours. Troubleshooting with Geniuses in Disk Utility diagnosed the only solution to be replacing the hard drive. Swapped out the battery at the same time.

All went fine. Except now the mac has crashed twice in the last month. Both times, the crash was a brief freeze, "colourful-pixel screen", followed by black. Two days before the last crash, the computer would not power on. On advice, I plugged comp in holding power key, waited ten seconds, unplug for 10 seconds, replug. Powered on just fine. Crashed two days later.

Each crash results in a missing startup disk-- file folder with question mark. Opt-Cmd-R for internet recovery. Attempts to repair disk in Disk Utility work fine, but doesn't fix the startup. So I have to format, reinstall OS and migrate from backups.

Obviously there are many potential issues. Any ideas? List to troubleshoot?

Some have noted online a frayed power cord can result in crashes.

I really appreciate your time here, all.

MacBook Air 11″, macOS 11.6

Posted on Feb 27, 2022 4:32 PM

Similar questions

8 replies

Mar 1, 2022 8:38 PM in response to HWTech

When computer restarts, I do not see an error log, only the Flash Question Mark Folder.

I don't yet understand the DriveDx report. But I see 1. Advanced SMART Status: Failing 1 issue found. 2. Drive is failing: 4065 unrecovered data integrity errors detected.

Many thanks for your advice thus far.

Mar 1, 2022 8:09 PM in response to Samathustra

Samathustra wrote:

Mac Air 2014 running 11.6.4, recently upgraded with OWC Aura 240GB hard drive and battery. Power cord is also frayed.

Each crash results in a missing startup disk-- file folder with question mark. Opt-Cmd-R for internet recovery. Attempts to repair disk in Disk Utility work fine, but doesn't fix the startup. So I have to format, reinstall OS and migrate from backups.

Obviously there are many potential issues. Any ideas? List to troubleshoot?

Did you try to reinstall macOS over top of itself instead of erasing the drive?

Do you get a Kernel Panic error log when booting the Mac after this happens? If so, having the Kernel Panic log may contain clues to what happened.

Try running DriveDx to check the health of the SSD. Post the full DriveDx text report here using the "Additional Text" icon which looks like a piece of paper.

I find that the SSD tends to be the weakest link assuming that you don't have a software issue that is corrupting macOS. However, since you now have two SSDs that appear to have the same issues, then it may indicate a bad Logic Board.

Mar 2, 2022 4:01 PM in response to Samathustra

Yes, those "Media and Integrity Errors" are concerning. You should contact OWC tech support and tell them about the repeated blinking folder with question mark issues and mention the "Media and Integrity Errors" from the DriveDx SMART report. I think with both of these items OWC will replace the SSD under warranty for you.

Mar 4, 2022 6:10 PM in response to HWTech

Computer crashed again, resulting in flashing question mark. I was able to open in Safe Mode, and then restart normally. But the computer crashed a few hours later and would not open in Safe Mode. With flashing question mark, I had to erase the entire drive again and reinstall.

I got a new power cord and ran Apple Diagnostics: no problems. I also re-ran DriveDX and now there are no errors showing there either. All results are good.

Then another crash. I've noticed at least some of the crashes occur while watching youtube via Google Chrome. Chrome gets a beachball, pauses, screen goes black. Flashing question mark.

I removed and reinstalled the new SSD to make sure the connection was fine. No effect. I'm curious why the crash causes the startup disk to disappear, when it is still visible in Recovery Mode.

OWC tech support has offered to fix or replace the drive. I don't know if I'm wasting my time anymore.

Mar 5, 2022 9:14 AM in response to Samathustra

Samathustra wrote:

I also re-ran DriveDX and now there are no errors showing there either. All results are good.

The errors should not just disappear, although I have seen the original Apple SSDs not retain the results of the SSD's selftests after a reboot. I've never seen that with a third party SSD though.

I'm curious why the crash causes the startup disk to disappear, when it is still visible in Recovery Mode.

Something is causing the OS on the SSD to become corrupted. My guess would have been those "Media and Integrity Errors" since that indicates stored data would be corrupted. However, there is a slim chance you could have more than one problem with this laptop such as a bad Logic Board.

OWC tech support has offered to fix or replace the drive. I don't know if I'm wasting my time anymore.

Without actually being able to see the laptop physically I cannot say if there may be more going on here. If the Logic Board and the rest of the laptop is in good working undamaged condition, then the SSD would be the weakest link. Obviously OWC feels the SSD may be bad since they offered to replace it. Companies don't usually offer to replace things unless they feel the item is likely defective with the information you've provided to them.

Mar 8, 2022 12:04 PM in response to Samathustra

From the Kernel Panic log:

nvme: "Fatal error occurred.

This usually indicates a bad SSD. There is a slim chance you may have a bad Logic Board or you have some third party driver installed that is interfering with the macOS NVMe driver (I don't see anything in the backtrace regarding third party drivers), but 99% of the time which I've encountered this error with our organization's Macs (and helping others here on the forums), the SSD is at fault.

Why is Macbook Air 2014 crashing bi-monthly, startup disk missing and OS Re-install required?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.