Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Magic mouse (1) lags singificantly when a USB C hub is connected (mac mini 2018, Mojave 10.14.5)

Hello,

I have a 2018 Mac Mini, Mojave 10.14.5 and a Magic Mouse 1 (AA batteries). I needed a usb c hub to be able to read SD cards and have more USB 3.0 ports and I decided to buy this hub https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07HK4Z48J/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 After 5 or 6 times of connecting/disconnecting, I noticed that every time I connect the hub the mouse lags significantly. As soon as I disconnect it, the mouse goes back to normal. I have no clue why this happens and wanted to ask if anyone has any idea. Also wanted to ask what tech specs do I need in a usb c hub to work properly with my magic mouse and Mojave 10.14.15.

Thank you

Mac mini 2018 or later

Posted on Sep 12, 2019 12:53 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 12, 2019 1:43 PM

Have you tried different USB ports?

Log into another user account on your Mac and see if the problem persists. This will tell us if the problem is limited to your user account or is system wide.

Boot into Safe Mode and see if the problem persists there. Reboot normally and test again.

NOTE: Safe Mode boot can take up to 10 minutes as it's doing some system cache cleaning, volume verifying and directory repairing.

This will tell us if there's any 3rd party software that's causing the problem

Lastly, if necessary, try the following:

How to reset the System Management Controller (SMC) on your Mac - Apple Support

Reset NVRAM or PRAM on your Mac - Apple Support

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 12, 2019 1:43 PM in response to chartchart

Have you tried different USB ports?

Log into another user account on your Mac and see if the problem persists. This will tell us if the problem is limited to your user account or is system wide.

Boot into Safe Mode and see if the problem persists there. Reboot normally and test again.

NOTE: Safe Mode boot can take up to 10 minutes as it's doing some system cache cleaning, volume verifying and directory repairing.

This will tell us if there's any 3rd party software that's causing the problem

Lastly, if necessary, try the following:

How to reset the System Management Controller (SMC) on your Mac - Apple Support

Reset NVRAM or PRAM on your Mac - Apple Support

Sep 14, 2019 12:12 AM in response to chartchart

Poorly shielded USB-A - USB-C adapters are reported to cause wireless interference.

I have a SanDisk 128GB Ultra Dual Drive USB Type-C flash drive that is very handy and fast (170/40 MB/s sustained read/write with my setup).

But when I connect it to Mac mini 2018 (I use a short extension cable so I don't have to reach to the back of the Mac "System-S USB 3.0 Typ A (male) to USB 3.0 Typ A (female) data sync charger and extension cable 30 cm"):

The wireless Magic Mouse and Magic Keyboard start lagging and disconnecting. Moving the mouse closer to the Mac helps. Disconnecting the flash drive fixes the problem.

Other flash drives behave correctly so I think this SanDisk drive has poor shielding.

https://www.apple.com/shop/product/HLNB2ZM/A/sandisk-128gb-ultra-dual-drive-usb-type-c?fnode=5f&fs=f%3Dflashdrive%26fh%3D3783%252B45ec

https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B00U2HVWK8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Sep 13, 2019 9:03 PM in response to Old Toad

Thanks for your fast reply. I just tried all four usb c ports and I think it behaves a little better on two of them (which is weird since I bought this mac mini about 4 months ago and all ports should be operating fine). The exact behaviour is difficult to replicate but I have no doubt that the mouse is affected every time I connect the usb c hub. There is only one user account on my Mac and I haven't tried safe mode, but I think I will just go to an apple store and ask and see if they can think of something.

Thank you

Sep 14, 2019 12:23 PM in response to chartchart

You can create a user account on your Mac as a trouble shooting tool. I have one that is a non-admin account for testing.

Yes, take it to the Apple store while you're still in warranty. Make an appointment at the Genius Bar for a free diagnostic

Be sure to make a full backup of your boot drive before taking it in, either with Time Machine or by cloning your boot drive. This is because Apple will probably want to erase the drive and reinstall the system from scratch to make sure there's no 3rd party software that might be involved in the problem.

Oct 1, 2019 12:51 PM in response to chartchart

I have a 2019 Macbook Pro with the same issue. Both Magic Mouse (1) and Wireless Keyboard (1) have issues staying connected. I upgraded to Wireless Keyboard Version 2 and now that stays connected, but my battery-operated Magic Mouse barely holds a connection anymore.

Based on the above reply about USB-A to USB-C adapters, I have a Satechi USB-C to USB-A hub which does not cause interference. However, when I plug my cheap-o USB-A 4-slot hub into the Satechi, Magic Mouse and Keyboard start lagging and/or dropping.

I have stable Magic Mouse (1) performance if my USB-A hub is NOT plugged in to my Satechi.

Magic mouse (1) lags singificantly when a USB C hub is connected (mac mini 2018, Mojave 10.14.5)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.