Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Restore from Time Machine Backup to new HDD with newer clean install OS?

Hey, folks.

I couldn't find the exact answer I'm looking for after searching for a bit, so I figured I'd just ask here really quick to confirm:

! have an old Mac Pro (2013) that is currently running Mac OS 10.12.6 (Sierra). My goal is to wipe the hard drive and do a clean install of Mojave. I want to use my Time Machine backup to restore my files. I don't care about the system settings or applications. I've restored several computers in the past, but it's been a hot minute. If I remember correctly, I can choose to restore files ...but does that include applications, which I do not want to do?

Anything else in this particular procedure that you fine folks would recommend?

Much appreciate in advance!

-=R=-

Mac Pro

Posted on Sep 12, 2019 3:00 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 12, 2019 8:30 PM

You are proposing three separate actions, which you will perform in the following order: erase, reinstall, transfer.

1. Erase the Mac Pro's startup disk. To do that read Erase a volume using Disk Utility on Mac - Apple Support

Excerpt:

• If you want to erase your startup disk or startup volume: Start up from macOS Recovery, then choose Disk Utility from the macOS Utilities window.

2. Reinstall macOS: Reinstall macOS - Apple Support

Excerpt:

• Install the latest version of macOS from the Internet: Press and hold Option-Command-R until a spinning globe appears, then release the keys.

Since you want to install Mojave, that's what it will offer.

3. Selectively Transfer files from your Time Machine backup. To do that you will be following Set up your new Mac - Apple Support.

Excerpt:

Restoring files from your Time Machine backup will permit you to select only your User Account. At the "Select the Information to Transfer" step, you will de-select all the other choices (Applications, other files and folders, and Computer & Network Settings).

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 12, 2019 8:30 PM in response to SquireCast

You are proposing three separate actions, which you will perform in the following order: erase, reinstall, transfer.

1. Erase the Mac Pro's startup disk. To do that read Erase a volume using Disk Utility on Mac - Apple Support

Excerpt:

• If you want to erase your startup disk or startup volume: Start up from macOS Recovery, then choose Disk Utility from the macOS Utilities window.

2. Reinstall macOS: Reinstall macOS - Apple Support

Excerpt:

• Install the latest version of macOS from the Internet: Press and hold Option-Command-R until a spinning globe appears, then release the keys.

Since you want to install Mojave, that's what it will offer.

3. Selectively Transfer files from your Time Machine backup. To do that you will be following Set up your new Mac - Apple Support.

Excerpt:

Restoring files from your Time Machine backup will permit you to select only your User Account. At the "Select the Information to Transfer" step, you will de-select all the other choices (Applications, other files and folders, and Computer & Network Settings).

Sep 12, 2019 10:52 PM in response to SquireCast

@John Galt:

Thanks, I'm sure that's a great bit of helpful info for those searching for similar solutions. To answer mine, I guess the answer is yes, I can simply copy my files over without also copying over Applications.

To simplify slightly for those who are familiar with this process (and correct me if I'm wrong, John), but to do what I'm describing above just select your user profile in the Migration Assistant and deselect everything else. Although...

Further question: What exactly is "Other Files and folders" referring to?

And to answer my own question: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2470870

(TL,DR: Anything you've saved outside of your user home folder. For example, I have a folder at my root level I use for temporary storage, that would be included. It also seems to include all your System and Library plist files, etc...which is one thing I would hope to be cleaning out with my new build. So I will move my root temp level folder inside my user folder, backup with TM once more, then go on a rebuilding spree!)

Restore from Time Machine Backup to new HDD with newer clean install OS?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.