Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

We cannot hear our original track when trying to record over it. Logic Pro X 10.4.6 & OS 10.14.6

Hi,

1. We have recorded a piano audio track, but have made a small mistake. We want to re-record over the mistake, but keep the rest of the track. We can hear the track perfectly when we just play back.
  2. During re-recording we want to hear our original recorded piano track and then play over the bit where we made the mistake. We want to remain on the same track (not create a new track)
  3. The problem is: When we click record, the original piano track goes silent. But we need to hear it.
  4. Can anyone help us with our settings, so that we can hear our original piano audio track when re-recording over it?
  5. Many thanks.

Posted on Sep 13, 2019 4:21 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 14, 2019 1:08 AM

During re-recording we want to hear our original recorded piano track

So you want to hear the old and the new take at the same time ? That's odd. And only possible with two actual tracks.

Usually you want to hear the old take in Play, drop into Record and hear only the new take, drop out of Record back into Play and hear only the old take. This is accomplished by having both Quick Punch-In and Auto Input Monitoring enabled. Do a long click on the record button to get there.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 14, 2019 1:08 AM in response to murmur11000

During re-recording we want to hear our original recorded piano track

So you want to hear the old and the new take at the same time ? That's odd. And only possible with two actual tracks.

Usually you want to hear the old take in Play, drop into Record and hear only the new take, drop out of Record back into Play and hear only the old take. This is accomplished by having both Quick Punch-In and Auto Input Monitoring enabled. Do a long click on the record button to get there.

Sep 14, 2019 6:59 AM in response to Jellemans

I see. So the actual problem is that there's no playback of the recording track during the preroll/count-in phase of the record command. Have both of you phrased it this way to the developers ? Try it, they might actually listen.

Other than that, there's

• Autopunch. Yes, this needs to be set up every time but that can be done very quickly by clever use of key commands, like set the punch out locator to the end of the song and leave it there, click where you want to dop in, hit KC for Set Left Locator to SPL, hit KC for Rewind once or twice, hit KC for Record. If that's too much work, put these in a keypress sequence in Keyboard Maestro (highly recommended) and assign that to a single key.
  • Drop in via footswitch. You can use any footswitch (your keyboard's sustain pedal is fine) to footually drop in which prevents the problem from occurring and keeps both your hands free

Sep 14, 2019 5:05 AM in response to fuzzfilth

I don't think that's his question. I Have the same problem with Logic. It forces me to record in Pro Tools.

I do sessions with a horn section while playing myself. What Logic doesn't do is give a preroll audio playback of the recording channel before punching in. That's annoying.. I know there's a workaround but then you have to adjust the markers every time you punch in at a new spot. Costs a lot of time, every time. Other DAWS as Digital Performer, Studio One and of course Pro Tools don't have that problem. It sincerely is the only reason why I don't record in Logic anymore.....I love Logic and it's feel and workflow. I have tried putting this on a wishlist but no luck so far.

Sep 14, 2019 5:17 AM in response to Jellemans

Then, frankly, what is the actual question ?

Recording workflow, as inherited from the days of tape recorders, would be

- your recording track is armed, you're ready to punch in on a bad note

- while in stop you hear the live input

- you hit play several seconds before the spot. track switches to playback

- when you drop in, record engages and the track switches to input

when you drop out, track goes out of record and switches back to playback

- then you hit stop and the track switches back to input

This is exactly what Logic does.

You could hear both live and tape at rhe same time on an SSL console, if you want that you'd need two tracks in Logic.

Oct 8, 2019 1:35 AM in response to fuzzfilth

I've been using autopunch for the last couple of sessions and I have to say it feels very buggy.

I keep getting performance/disk too slow warnings, dropping out of recording during the session. I use the imac pro and external SSD for recording. Any idea what I should do? Buffer range is already set to 1024 and I don't use input monitoring.

We cannot hear our original track when trying to record over it. Logic Pro X 10.4.6 & OS 10.14.6

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.