Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

has iCal 11.0 got rid of floating time zones?

I need fixed times in my calendar, as I cross time-zones a lot and need my appts to stay fixed, and not change as I move through time zones. There doesn't seem to be a calendar app that will do this, but looking online, a lot of people seem to handle it with the "floating" option in iCal. However, to judge by the screen shots from their explanations, that "floating" option (which keeps the time fixed regardless of time zone) does not exist in iCal 11.0 -- or am I missing something?

MacBook Air

Posted on Sep 14, 2019 1:08 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 14, 2019 2:29 PM

iCal hasn't existed in years. I have no idea what "floating" option is as it has never been an option under that name, nor do I understand how time can be "floating."

You can enable or disable Time Zone support in Advanced tab of preferences.

If you enable it, the events will be correct in whatever time zone you happen to be. If you disable it, events will always be at whatever absolute time you set it to be--i.e., you have to do the math.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 14, 2019 2:29 PM in response to A.W. Carus

iCal hasn't existed in years. I have no idea what "floating" option is as it has never been an option under that name, nor do I understand how time can be "floating."

You can enable or disable Time Zone support in Advanced tab of preferences.

If you enable it, the events will be correct in whatever time zone you happen to be. If you disable it, events will always be at whatever absolute time you set it to be--i.e., you have to do the math.

Sep 14, 2019 3:47 PM in response to Barney-15E

Sorry, I called it iCal because the online discussions I looked at were fairly old, and I can't keep track of Apple's changes in terminology. But thanks for pointing out that if you simply turn off Time Zone Support, you get absolute time, and it will just assume and adjust to whatever time zone you're in (just like airline schedules). That solves my problem; finally I can get off paper calendars! Thanks!

has iCal 11.0 got rid of floating time zones?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.