You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Watch 5 unlocked carrier?

I want to order apple watch 5 series but it seems it can only work withing specific countries/carriers. Is this the case? If so, why - iPhones are unlocked long ago why can't you do the same with a watch? I was very happy to buy this watch to get rid of my phone but now this...

Apple Watch

Posted on Sep 14, 2019 2:13 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 15, 2019 7:36 PM

A GPS + Cellular Watch is indeed regional. You still need your phone even if you have the GPS + Cellular version because the watch communicates with the phone periodically throughout the day to update information. Since the 5 is not out I will just say the series 4 had a North American version and an everywhere else version. However, everywhere else does not mean that it works in countries where Apple is not supported at all (example - all of Africa) The reasons is that countries use different cellular technologies.

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Sep 15, 2019 7:36 PM in response to hrytskivr

A GPS + Cellular Watch is indeed regional. You still need your phone even if you have the GPS + Cellular version because the watch communicates with the phone periodically throughout the day to update information. Since the 5 is not out I will just say the series 4 had a North American version and an everywhere else version. However, everywhere else does not mean that it works in countries where Apple is not supported at all (example - all of Africa) The reasons is that countries use different cellular technologies.

Apple Watch 5 unlocked carrier?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.