Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

re install mac os won't work

I am selling my old 2011 MacBook air and started with erasing the old macintosh disk in disk utilities then re install Mac OS X Lion. However, after it's done installing and restarts, the apple logo with the loading symbol is visible for a short while then the no symbol (🚫) comes up and nothing happens. I turn of the computer then go back to internet recovery using command R and try re installing but it does the same thing over and over again Ive tried it about 7 times. Is there anybody that has a suggestion? Im attaching pics of what stuff looks like if you wanna look at it. Any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks

MacBook Air

Posted on Sep 14, 2019 5:13 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 15, 2019 12:33 PM

"Proper OS" means a version of macOS which is compatible with your exact MBAir. For a MBAir 2011 it can have OSX 10.7 Lion all the way up to macOS 10.13 High Sierra.

Did you ever have OSX 10.12.4+ installed on this laptop? If so, try booting into Internet Recovery Mode using Command + Option + R to see if it will boot into the macOS 10.13 High Sierra installer.

When booting into Recovery Mode, did you erase the physical drive or the "Macintosh HD" volume?

If you never updated the OS past Lion or Internet Recovery Mode only provides you with the Lion installer, then you will need to create a bootable macOS USB installer using another Mac running OSX 10.13 High Sierra or earlier:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201372

I really doubt this will help, but try an SMC reset and a PRAM reset (hold the PRAM reset for at least three chimes). See if you still get the prohibitory symbol.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 15, 2019 12:33 PM in response to Captain Sims

"Proper OS" means a version of macOS which is compatible with your exact MBAir. For a MBAir 2011 it can have OSX 10.7 Lion all the way up to macOS 10.13 High Sierra.

Did you ever have OSX 10.12.4+ installed on this laptop? If so, try booting into Internet Recovery Mode using Command + Option + R to see if it will boot into the macOS 10.13 High Sierra installer.

When booting into Recovery Mode, did you erase the physical drive or the "Macintosh HD" volume?

If you never updated the OS past Lion or Internet Recovery Mode only provides you with the Lion installer, then you will need to create a bootable macOS USB installer using another Mac running OSX 10.13 High Sierra or earlier:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201372

I really doubt this will help, but try an SMC reset and a PRAM reset (hold the PRAM reset for at least three chimes). See if you still get the prohibitory symbol.

Sep 14, 2019 8:18 PM in response to kaz-k

Hey thanks for replying. Yea ive followed the link you sent on how to reinstall macOS from masOS recovery. and the prohibitory symbol means i need to reinstall macOS. So that is why I'm confused because the guide says if the symbol comes up all you have to do is reinstall macOS but that's what i was doing and have tried..? I keep reinstalling it but it doesn't work.. What do you mean by "proper macOS" because there's only one option for me (OS X Lion) when i go to reinstall? thank you

re install mac os won't work

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.