Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

WHY isn't Apple presenting Apple users with very Clear and Concise information on how to take care of the 32/64 bit problem??

It has been made clear that the 32/64 bit switch is on going.

I periodically get little messages about how some of my apps will soon not be nonfunctional.

As a NON-TECHNICAL person, I sure am wanting clear and precise step-by-step instructions on how to update and thus stop the irritating and (to me) nearly incomprehensible messages about the problem.

Apple has not yet presented the copy for users like me - artistic cave-beings.

If nothing else, Apple should be offering us a list of URLs of the various developers.

Apple is swimming in money. It should be simple for Apple to dig up and present that list of URLs.

Apple should be providing me with more information and instructions than I need.

I should be feeling well and fully taken care of by Apple. I sure do want that to happen.

MacBook Pro

Posted on Sep 15, 2019 4:39 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 15, 2019 4:50 AM

danfromhouston wrote:

If nothing else, Apple should be offering us a list of URLs of the various developers.

There are approximately 20 million Apple Developers, not counting the ones that no longer exist. I doubt a list of all of them would do much good. It's not difficult to find the developers of apps one might have installed.

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 15, 2019 4:50 AM in response to danfromhouston

danfromhouston wrote:

There are approximately 20 million Apple Developers, not counting the ones that no longer exist. I doubt a list of all of them would do much good. It's not difficult to find the developers of apps one might have installed.

Sep 15, 2019 6:05 AM in response to danfromhouston

MacOS 10.15 Catalina will be launched in October it is this OS and only this OS that will not open 32bit apps.

You are not obliged to install Catalina, you can stay on High Sierra and all your apps will continue to function.

If you would like to install Catalina then you ill need to see if your 32bit apps have 64bit updates, or failing that find similar apps that are 64bit.

If like me you have a hardware specific app that is part of your workflow and not being updated but wish to use Catalina

then you can run your older OS and its 32bit apps from an external drive and have Catalina on the internal drive. When you need to you can boot between the two drives.

Sep 15, 2019 6:17 AM in response to Eau Rouge

I thank you for your enlightening response.

I am a simple person, NOT an IT TECH. Let there be no mistake about this.

What might be 'simple' for you regarding online technique and switching to this and that, is NOT 'simple' for me.

I DO NOT want to be using an older OS. Like everybody else, I desire my system to be up to date.

[Edited by Moderator]

Sep 15, 2019 6:30 AM in response to danfromhouston

If you are using High Sierra you are using an old OS, Mojave is the current one.

Switching from one OS to another is easy, open System Preferences> Startup Disk

What Mac do you have, it may not be able to upgrade to Catalina if it doesn't fall within the upgrade criteria.

No need for the upper case words, someone is only trying to help and inform you, after all you asked.

At the very top of this page is a banner entitled Get ready for Catalina. Click on the blue text, I will pray for you.

Sep 15, 2019 6:37 AM in response to Eau Rouge

Thank you for your curiosity about my equipment. It's quite against policy here to release such information.

I capitalize some words for the benefit of those who might not be very capable of getting the jist of the message.

You, for instance, want to know things that have nothing to do with my original question. "WHY is Apple not helping?"

I desire to be quite clear in my messages, thus the periodic caps.

I'll use them when I choose, thank you very much.

Prayer is begging. I'll have none of it.

I MUCH prefer the cold, hard, beautiful truth.

WHY isn't Apple presenting Apple users with very Clear and Concise information on how to take care of the 32/64 bit problem??

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.