Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I am trying to sign in to the App Store on my Apple TV to purchase an app and when I try to enter the Apple ID and password, the system says I need to create an iTunes Store account on an ios device, Mac or pc. What does this mean?

I am trying to sign in to the App Store on my Apple TV to purchase an app and when I try to enter the Apple ID and password, the system says I need to create an iTunes Store account on an ios device, Mac or pc. What does this mean?

Apple TV 4K

Posted on Sep 15, 2019 6:43 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 15, 2019 7:19 AM

You need to log into the App Store/iTunes on an IOS device, Mac or pc and set up an account. See the Set up account section in the article below.

iTunes Store – Complete Guide

You can set up your payment information using the link below.

Apple ID payment information - change

15 replies

Sep 15, 2019 8:43 AM in response to nanga225

You are welcome. If you are using the same Apple ID on the phone and the App TV, and you can purchase from iTunes on the phone, you have an iTunes account. I don't know why you are getting the error. You can contact iTunes Support to see if they can help you access the account on the TV. Either use the form or scroll to the bottom of the page in the 2nd link. Follow through the screens to get a chat or telephone option.  You may need to pick a problem that is slightly different than yours to get a chat option.  

iTunes Support

iTunes Support – world wide

Oct 25, 2019 8:35 AM in response to Eric Root

Thanks - I saw that article, but there is no link to the iTunes store so I wasn't sure where to go. I tried this site: https://www.apple.com/itunes/ but it looks nothing like the article. And when I click the link to Apple Store account, it just asks me to sign in with my Apple ID and I'm right back where I started. That article is dated 2011, is it really relevant?

Sep 15, 2019 8:21 AM in response to nanga225

Thanks. The difficulty is that with the move away from iTunes, it’s not an option for establishing an iTunes Store account and when I try the option to purchase something from the iTunes Store it just requires my password as the Apple ID already enables the iTunes Store from when I set up the phone initially. Not sure why this doesn’t count as an iTunes Store Account for purposes of the Apple TV because it’s essentially the same thing

Oct 25, 2019 10:15 AM in response to Eric Root

I have plenty of computers, but they are not Apple. So you're saying that because I don't have an Apple computer or phone I have to go to an Apple Store or Reseller to sign-up for an account for a service that has been eliminated, even though I have an Apple ID with a credit card attached to it? No offense, but that's a lot of effort to go through to sign up for something that I also have to pay for. Very disappointing.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.