Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Combine live video from MacBook camera and keynote presentation as picture-in-picture

I'm teaching an online class and would like to record myself from my MacBook camera while displaying a keynote presentation in an upper corner where I control the changing of slides.

Thanks, Danny

MacBook Pro

Posted on Sep 15, 2019 7:22 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 15, 2019 9:48 AM

When Keynote is in play:

• slides can only be displayed full screen
  • Keynote window is unable to be resized when in Play
  • all other applications are hidden, including the output from the camera therefore a picture in picture recording is not possible.

A workaround to record the camera picture and a reduced size Keynote, is not to Play the presentation, but show Keynote in "Edit" mode as follows:

resize the Keynote window to an appropriate size

remove the navigator and inspector panels at each side to maximise the slide window

View> Inspector > Hide Inspector

View > Slide Only

View > Hide Toolbar

Advancing through the slides is made by using the page down keyboard key

no animations will display as they can only run in play mode.

Record the picture in picture using QuickTime using: File > New Screen Recording

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 15, 2019 9:48 AM in response to dannymercer

When Keynote is in play:

• slides can only be displayed full screen
  • Keynote window is unable to be resized when in Play
  • all other applications are hidden, including the output from the camera therefore a picture in picture recording is not possible.

A workaround to record the camera picture and a reduced size Keynote, is not to Play the presentation, but show Keynote in "Edit" mode as follows:

resize the Keynote window to an appropriate size

remove the navigator and inspector panels at each side to maximise the slide window

View> Inspector > Hide Inspector

View > Slide Only

View > Hide Toolbar

Advancing through the slides is made by using the page down keyboard key

no animations will display as they can only run in play mode.

Record the picture in picture using QuickTime using: File > New Screen Recording

Combine live video from MacBook camera and keynote presentation as picture-in-picture

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.