Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Setting DNS on Airport Extreme 802.11ac time capsule

I'm having troubles navigating within one website (macintosh.com). Internal links on the site are resolved not at all or VERY slowly. At first I thought this was a Safari configuration problem, because in Chrome I could get the home page to load much more quickly than from Safari, but it's possible Chrome actually first loaded a cached page. I did everything I could think of to "clean" Safari (there's no longer a "Reset Safari" in the last few iterations of the macOS). That didn't help. So, I tried changing DNS servers in my Airport Extreme. I had 1.1.1.1 entered, deleted that (discovering the IPv4 addresses for my charter/Spectrum ISP in "grayed out" text "behind" them, entered the address for OpenDNS, rebooted the router and didn't see any improvement. I have no idea what's wrong.

Does anyone know what the additional ISP-provided DNS server addresses lying "behind" the user-designated address do? Does the router check four, rather than two, addresses?

I have IPv6 set to "configure automatically." Should I set it to "Link local" (which I think means it's only active locally, and I CERTAINlY don't need it myself on my tiny LAN. Should I disable it? Anything else I should try?

Thanks so much for any suggestions.

MacBook Pro

Posted on Sep 15, 2019 9:00 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 17, 2019 9:52 AM

Yesterday morning, the problem seemed to have fixed itself. Ric Ford, the tireless and long-suffering publisher of Macintouch, has not responded to my appeals for information from his end, so I don't know if there were any problems with the site itself.

User "Tesserax" suggested trying namebench. It suggested there was a faster DNS server available to me, but I didn't go there, since it was IPv6.

Thank you so much for your detailed responses. I may never find out what the issue was.

Similar questions

13 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 17, 2019 9:52 AM in response to Johnnyspike

Yesterday morning, the problem seemed to have fixed itself. Ric Ford, the tireless and long-suffering publisher of Macintouch, has not responded to my appeals for information from his end, so I don't know if there were any problems with the site itself.

User "Tesserax" suggested trying namebench. It suggested there was a faster DNS server available to me, but I didn't go there, since it was IPv6.

Thank you so much for your detailed responses. I may never find out what the issue was.

Sep 15, 2019 1:20 PM in response to JimRobertson

I have my router configured to do NAT.

Ok, then that would be "NAT and DHCP," so it is getting its DNS server input from your ISP. These would normally appear "grayed out" to let you know that they have been pre-assigned via the ISP DHCP server. You can easily overwrite them, as you did, if you entered the OpenDNS servers. Any DNS servers you configure on your Extreme will be "pushed" to any network client connecting to the Extreme and that client is also configured as a DHCP client (its default).

IPv6 adoption is being rolled out at different paces depending on the size of the market. As you can imagine, Montana's overall population is less than that of any major (or not so major) city in California, so I don't see IPv6 being available in most of the state. Most likely, you will see it start being rolled out to the larger cities over time.

Could you try going to https://www.macintouch.com and see what happens. The main page loads quickly, but if I click any of the internal links they resolve VERY slowly, if at all.

The link opened very quickly for me as well and any link on that page was somewhat slower. It will depend on how many links are embedded on each of those subsequent pages as a DNS lookup will be required for each one of them. That's why "busy" pages, with lots of ads and links on them take longer to load. Try ESPN for example.

You can also determine which DNS servers are the "best" to use for your location. You may find that your ISP's or OpenDNS, or Google DNS, may not be. I know of at least two ways to do so:

1. namebench: This runs on a Mac, but has not been updated if a few years and may not work with the latest versions of macOS.
  2. DNSBench: This one runs on a Windows device.

Sep 15, 2019 10:15 AM in response to JimRobertson

Hi Jim,

I suggest you let the AirPort Extreme use the DNS servers provided by your ISP. It's unlikely you are having a DNS problem because then internet access to all sites would be affected as opposed to just one site (you mention a problem only with Macintosh.com). I believe the problem is with the address macintosh.com. It does not resolve for me either. If you open a terminal window from Launch Pad and type:

nslookup Macintosh.com

you will see the message: server can't find macintosh.com: SERVFAIL. At least it did for me... You will also see the IP address of the DNS servers doing the look up. So I suggest you double check the web address.

The IP address 1.1.1.1 is a valid DNS server.

Sep 15, 2019 11:08 AM in response to JimRobertson

+1 to Johnnyspike's reply to you. The "macinstosh.com" domain does not resolve for me either, regardless of which DNS servers I use.

As far as "grayed out" servers, these would be those provided by the upstream router from your AirPort Extreme ... most likely, those provided by your ISP. Especially if you have your Extreme configured as a DHCP client.

IPv6 is a "whole different animal." If your ISP is providing you with IPv6 service, then the "correct" setting for your Extreme would be "Automatic." "Link-local only" would only allow IPv6 traffic on your local network and would be the appropriate setting if they don't provide you with this service.

Sep 15, 2019 11:58 AM in response to Johnnyspike

I'm so sorry for sending you both on a blind alley. The website is macintouch.com, which has been a font of information for at least two decades.

Before I reviewed my own post, I thought perhaps you'd each demonstrated that the site itself was having issues, and that may well be the case. I did find a support email address, but that's not always monitored on weekends.

Sep 15, 2019 12:05 PM in response to Tesserax

I have my router configured to do NAT. My internet access point is a DOCSIS 3.1 "cable modem" that does not contain a router, and my ISP is Spectrum in Montana. I'm still curious about those IPv4 addresses "lurking" behind what I type in for my DNS server. I know that 1.1.1.1 (xxx) is a valid server, but to see if it made a difference, I changed to OpenDNS, which didn't help.

I really didn't do any configuration of IPv6; when I changed ISP, from Comcast in California to Spectrum here, I think all I had to do was confirm that my router was receiving a signal - I may have had to enter a DNS server address manually, but I don't think so, because I had the 1.1.1.1 listed from my time on the West Coast.

Could you try going to https://www.macintouch.com and see what happens. The main page loads quickly, but if I click any of the internal links they resolve VERY slowly, if at all.

Thanks again for responding so quickly

Sep 15, 2019 12:37 PM in response to Bob Timmons

Hi Jim,

No worries on providing the wrong web address. These things happen all the time in the world of computing. The address works no problem for me. Looks like an interesting site. I'm curious. Could you check please if you have a SOCKS proxy enabled. This is a problem I have experienced. If it is, de-select it. To check: From SYSTEM PREFERENCES, go to NETWORK | ADVANCED | PROXIES | SOCKS PROXY.

Sep 15, 2019 12:39 PM in response to JimRobertson

Hi Jim,

No worries on providing the wrong web address. These things happen all the time in the world of computing. The address works no problem for me. Looks like an interesting site. I'm curious. Could you check please if you have a SOCKS proxy enabled. This is a problem I have experienced. If it is, de-select it. To check: From SYSTEM PREFERENCES, go to NETWORK | ADVANCED | PROXIES | SOCKS PROXY.

Sep 16, 2019 8:27 AM in response to Johnnyspike

Thanks for the suggestion. I don't have any SOCKS proxies enabled; indeed, I don't even know what they're for.

NONE of the various proxy types is checked. However, I do have, in that panel of system preferences, "Bypass Proxy Settings for these Hosts & Domains:"

*.local, 169.254/16

and I have no idea how that got there, or what it means.

I do know that Ric Ford, publisher of macintouch, blocks connections from known VPN servers, and I use a VPN sometimes when I'm in coffee shops or the like and the only WiFi available is open and insecure, but that's not the issue now (if I try to connect when the VPN is active, a message pops up telling that my connection method is not permitted.

Today, things are a bit better, but I still must wait as long as a minute to navigate to internal links on the site. Curiously, my iPhone (iPhone 7 Plus, currently on my home WiFi network (same SSID as my laptop) navigates those internal links instantly.

Sep 16, 2019 10:22 AM in response to Tesserax

Thanks so much. My problem wasn't that the internal links are resolved more slowly. If an internal link ever displays its target page, it's after more than a minute of waiting and sometimes (as when I'm clicking on my own account information's link, a message eventually posts stating that the website was "having problems." I still haven't figured out whether this is at my end or the web server's, but your experience suggests the problem may be mine.

I did download namebench and ran it. It tells me that the "best" is Hurricane Electric IPv6. So far as I can tell, I'm not using its server. I'm still puzzled.

Sep 17, 2019 9:10 AM in response to JimRobertson

Hi Jim,

Thanks for the information. So this rules out a proxy issue I experienced and have being reading about in some posts. A proxy server performs functions on behalf of your computer. Imagine, in an election, if you could not vote so you authorized someone to vote on your behalf. That would be a proxy vote. In the work place, proxy servers are often employed to fetch web pages from the internet on behalf of desktops in the office. Users think they are going to the internet but in fact the proxy server is getting the page. There are many good reasons for having proxy servers; control - you can authenticate users and block users from going to the internet; performance - the proxy server caches frequent web requests; security - you can scan web content at the proxy server. Sometimes in the workplace you may want to access an internal server without going to the proxy. In that case, one would employ the "bypass local proxy" setting. The addresses you see there are placed by default. Their meaning is a bit too complex to explain here but suffice to say they are harmless. There is an anomaly I have seen where something in the Mac sets the SOCKS Proxy server (SOCKS refers to a proxy with enhanced security features). But, since there is no actual proxy server on the network, there is nothing to receive the web request from the desktop. The result: the user sees a blank internet page. This is certainly some kind of bug or perhaps caused by malicious software.

Interesting that your iPhone has no issues accessing the same site over the same wireless network. This rules out your network and points to something on the desktop. However, I have no clue what would slow the web pages of a specific web address while allowing the rest to perform normally. I'll think on it some more but it is perplexing.

Setting DNS on Airport Extreme 802.11ac time capsule

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.