Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Major Bug in DNS Servers Text Field in System Prefs > Network > Advanced > DNS > DNS Servers

On MacOS Catalina 10.15.5, if you go to the Network preference pane in the System Preferences, and try to enter a different DNS server (such as the Google DNS server 8.8.8.8) into the DNS Servers text field, the text you type in is instantly deleted, and it is thus impossible to change the DNS server.

To see this bug, go to System Prefs > Network > Advanced > DNS > DNS Servers, click the + symbol, and then type in a DNS server such as 8.8.8.8. You will find the moment you start typing, the text is deleted.

Mac mini 2018 or later

Posted on Jun 2, 2020 5:02 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 2, 2020 5:30 PM

It works fine here. It could be interference from software or a configuration. Do you see the same behaviour when you are booted in Safe Mode? See How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support

Similar questions

12 replies

Jun 3, 2020 4:37 PM in response to etresoft

• Do you have a "Profiles" pane in System Preferences?

No, I can't see any Profiles pane.

• Is this machine part of a managed network?

No, just a 2012 Mini Mac I use at home, connected by Ethernet cable to a home router. This issue with the Network pane I only noticed recently (about a month or two ago I think). Nothing has changed on my home LAN network in that time, and previously I had no issues with the Network pane.

• Do you have any adware running?

Not that I am aware of, but just to check, I just downloaded the Malwarebytes to see if any adware is present, but there was none.

I have a HideMe VPN set up in my Network pane, but that has been there for a long time without causing issues.

Jun 4, 2020 10:12 AM in response to etresoft

• Do you know if this problem started happening around that time? Or did you just recently try to change your DNS?

Only very approximately about the same time. I had not looked at the Network pane for a while, but I happened to look at it about a month ago, and then noticed this issue. I installed ProtonVPN about 2 months ago I think. I also tried out the Hotspot Shield VPN not so long ago, and then later removed it from my computer. But this is well-known popular VPN that is a mature product and on the Apple App Store, so I presume it would not have such bugs in it.

• Are you running any other kind of security software? Or ad-blocking software? Or p**n-blocking software? Any of that could easily cause a problem like this.

No security software or antivirus software is running. I have the Ghostery ad blocker extension running on Safari. Turning this off does not help. Though I have not tried uninstalling it completely. I also have the uBlock Origin ad blocker add-on installed in Firefox, but this add-on is disabled.

Jun 3, 2020 2:21 PM in response to etresoft

Thanks very much for your reply. I've just tried it in safe mode, but the fault is still there. It is also there if I log in as root.

I also tried to delete the following Network pane preference files (I had to turn off System Integrity Protection to delete some of these):

com.apple.networkextension.uuidcache.plist

com.apple.networkextension.plist

com.apple.networkextension.necp.plist

com.apple.networkextension.cache.plist

But this did not fix the issue after rebooting.

By the way this is not the only Network pane bug I am experiencing: if I go to System Prefs > Network > Advanced > Hardware, and try to change the Configure option from "automatically" to "manually" in the pop-up menu, as soon as I select manually, it instantly reverts back to automatically.

And if I go to System Prefs > Network > Advanced > TCP/IP, and try to change the Configure IPv4 pop-up menu, again, if I select any menu option, it instantly reverts back to its original value. So I cannot change the Configure IPv4 settings.

If I go to System Prefs > Network > Location (the pop-up menu at the top of the pane), and using Edit Locations..., add another location, that new location also suffers from the same bugs described above.

In terms of unusual software on my Mac running in the background, there's very little. I run Carbon Copy Cloner, Dropbox, a text expander app called Typinator. Quitting Dropbox and Typinator does not fix the issue.

Jun 3, 2020 5:45 PM in response to Hip89

By the way, I am not sure if it is related, but on the Google Chrome browser on my Mac, pages sometimes fail to load the first time, and I get this message: "Your connection was interrupted. A network change was detected. ERR_NETWORK_CHANGED". This only happens in Chrome, not in Firefox or Safari.

Jun 4, 2020 7:25 AM in response to etresoft

The VPNs I normally use were set up manually by me, using the Network pane and standard Mac interface for VPNs. These have been running for years without causing any issues.

I did however some months ago try out a VPN called ProtonVPN, which used an installer and had its own app running. I have removed ProtonVPN and all the associated files I could find from my machine, but whether this might have made changes to my machine elsewhere, I am not sure.

Are there any Terminal command lines that can be used to reset all parameters connected to the network?

Because there are several tabs in my Network pane in which I am prohibited from changing the settings, it's almost as if some command has been issued which has frozen the Network pane and prevented me changing any network parameters.

Thanks very much for your help, etresoft.

Jun 4, 2020 8:01 AM in response to Hip89

Hip89 wrote:

I did however some months ago try out a VPN called ProtonVPN, which used an installer and had its own app running. I have removed ProtonVPN and all the associated files I could find from my machine, but whether this might have made changes to my machine elsewhere, I am not sure.

Do you know if this problem started happening around that time? Or did you just recently try to change your DNS?

Unfortunately, any software that comes with its own installer probably needs to be uninstalled with an uninstaller or uninstallation instructions provided directly by the vendor.

I just checked the ProtonVPN installer and it appears to be a simple drag-n-drop installer that can be removed just by deleting the app. Sometimes VPNs have extra components, like OpenVPN drivers, that need lower-level software. But I was unable to reproduce this problem with the basic ProtonVPN installer.

Are there any Terminal command lines that can be used to reset all parameters connected to the network?

Alas, yes. That's a real can-o-worms though.

Because there are several tabs in my Network pane in which I am prohibited from changing the settings, it's almost as if some command has been issued which has frozen the Network pane and prevented me changing any network parameters.

Are you running any other kind of security software? Or ad-blocking software? Or p**n-blocking software? Any of that could easily cause a problem like this.

Jun 4, 2020 1:13 PM in response to Hip89

I finally figured out the cause! I just unplugged my computer Ethernet cable from my router, and as soon as I did that, the Mac Network pane started working normally again! And when I plugged the cable back in, the Network pane issues reappeared.

My router is not a standard commercial one, but an OpenWrt router (alternative firmware). I was having some issues with bufferbloat on my regular Netgear computer (the Internet getting really slow when others are uploading), and since most commercial routers suffer from bufferbloat, the only option to fix bufferbloat was to buy a pre-flashed OpenWrt router, which is engineered to avoid bufferbloat.

Most of the settings on this OpenWrt router I do not understand, as it's pretty complicated. So I guess some months ago I must have made some changes to my OpenWrt router configuration that caused this problem. I know that one of the changes I made on my router some was to assign predefined LAN IP numbers to all the devices on my LAN (this was on the DHCP and DNS page of my router's configuration), so perhaps that caused my router to override the Network pane. I am going to revert those router changes, to see if that fixes the problem.

Thanks anyway for all your help and suggestions, it's much appreciated.

Major Bug in DNS Servers Text Field in System Prefs > Network > Advanced > DNS > DNS Servers

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.