Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to set up automatic configure DNS on Mac OS catalina

I recently updated OS system to Catalina 10.15.7, and found that it cannot connect to any internet automatically - I have to enter the DNS manually every time I connect to a new network, which is quite painful. I cannot find where to set up configure DNS automatically, could anyone please help me? Thanks!

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Nov 11, 2020 5:24 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 11, 2020 5:40 PM

This almost sounds like it's an issue with your router. Click the "Network" icon in your system preferences. On the left panel, make sure the correct interface is selected (ie. "Ethernet") if you're on a hardline, or "Wifi" if you're connected wirelessly. On the right panel, make sure the pull-down window for "Configure IPv4" is "Using DHCP". That's all you need to do. It will pick up the settings from your router. For the most part, unless you require your Mac to use a static IP address, one generally leaves it as DHCP to let the network configure your connection.

Note: I'm assuming you're using this for your home network and it's nothing fancy.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 11, 2020 5:40 PM in response to mk206

This almost sounds like it's an issue with your router. Click the "Network" icon in your system preferences. On the left panel, make sure the correct interface is selected (ie. "Ethernet") if you're on a hardline, or "Wifi" if you're connected wirelessly. On the right panel, make sure the pull-down window for "Configure IPv4" is "Using DHCP". That's all you need to do. It will pick up the settings from your router. For the most part, unless you require your Mac to use a static IP address, one generally leaves it as DHCP to let the network configure your connection.

Note: I'm assuming you're using this for your home network and it's nothing fancy.

How to set up automatic configure DNS on Mac OS catalina

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.