Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

fixing DNS not being set automatically

Hello!

I've needed to manually change DNS for one network I've used. After doing this, the DNS is no longer being automatically determined and set when joining a network, i.e., the DNS filled out by default is the last one used and I need to manually enter correct DNS when every time I join a new network. Updating my MacOS to Ventura 13.5.1 did not help. What should I do so that DNS is set automatically again?

Thank you in advance for your help!

MacBook Pro 14″, macOS 13.5

Posted on Aug 25, 2023 7:13 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 25, 2023 7:36 AM

Are you removing the DNS addresses and it is not getting DNS from the router?

So you don't have to change things all the time, you can create a Location in the Network settings, then switch to that when you are on that network that needs manual DNS, then switch back to Automatic for the others. You can just duplicate Automatic, then make the DNS changes in that new one.

Use network locations on Mac - Apple Support

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 25, 2023 7:36 AM in response to cyl-art

Are you removing the DNS addresses and it is not getting DNS from the router?

So you don't have to change things all the time, you can create a Location in the Network settings, then switch to that when you are on that network that needs manual DNS, then switch back to Automatic for the others. You can just duplicate Automatic, then make the DNS changes in that new one.

Use network locations on Mac - Apple Support

fixing DNS not being set automatically

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.