Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

strange DNS/Internet issue faced on MacBook

After the latest upgrade of MACOS have a typical issue faced only at home location, that DNS is not working though there are DNS server IPS available on the network configuration. Also for my surprise, only not able to resolve & Ping an public FQDN address through terminal, Safari not browsing, VPNs not connecting, however, Crome works perfectly fine. As a work around, I go and update manually every time the DNS entry with google server IP -> 8.8.8.8, then everything works fine. Tried reseting, safari, network plist, cleared dns cache but this the same issue. Have observed the same on 2 different MacBooks in my home network, wherein it works in the office network without any issue and using the same DNS Servers ip which is used as default network configuration. Wondering how Crome can work without setting manually the DNS and that too in my home network only. iPads, iPhones, and other devices are working without any such issue. Appreciate some immediate help on this regard.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 12.5

Posted on Oct 11, 2022 1:48 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 11, 2022 8:59 AM

Have you tried power cycling the router? I would also reboot the affected Macs as well. Check your router's configuration as well if a power cycle does not help.

Try booting the Mac into Safe Mode to see if that helps as that prevents third party software from launching automatically during boot & login. Anti-virus apps, cleaning apps, and third party security software as well as VPNs interfere with the normal operation of macOS, however, some of these apps may make changes to the network configuration that may still persist even if the third party software is not currently running so Safe Mode is not necessarily a conclusive test for your situation. You can also try creating a new macOS user account & logging into it to see if there is any difference (again, some of these apps may affect new user accounts as well). You can also try creating a new Network Location in your main account in order to attempt to reconfigure the network settings.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 11, 2022 8:59 AM in response to KingMahesh

Have you tried power cycling the router? I would also reboot the affected Macs as well. Check your router's configuration as well if a power cycle does not help.

Try booting the Mac into Safe Mode to see if that helps as that prevents third party software from launching automatically during boot & login. Anti-virus apps, cleaning apps, and third party security software as well as VPNs interfere with the normal operation of macOS, however, some of these apps may make changes to the network configuration that may still persist even if the third party software is not currently running so Safe Mode is not necessarily a conclusive test for your situation. You can also try creating a new macOS user account & logging into it to see if there is any difference (again, some of these apps may affect new user accounts as well). You can also try creating a new Network Location in your main account in order to attempt to reconfigure the network settings.

strange DNS/Internet issue faced on MacBook

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.