Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

DNS doesn't work, though I can ping it. Adding a new one can solve the problem temporarily.

I have a 14-inch Macbook Pro released in 2021, recently my DNS failed regularly, the problem is as follows: my current DNS to Google DNS(8.8.8.8), it worked for about 24 hours after startup, then failed. But I could still ping my DNS server(the Google DNS). At this stage, I had to add another DNS that I had not used after startup, say DNS provided by Alibaba(223.5.5.5). Then, it worked for around another 24 hours before failing again. However, my network was still in good condition as I could still ping servers by IP addresses (but both aforementioned DNS were malfunctioning). As you see, the peculiar scenarios repeated. I wonder what is the problem with my computer or OS and what is a more elegant solution instead of continuously adding new DNS.

MacBook Pro 14″, macOS 12.0

Posted on Apr 6, 2022 7:34 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 13, 2022 7:48 AM

Sorry for mistakenly clicking the "solved" button and for the delay of updating this. It is my first time to ask questions in Apple community and I think they will notify me any update of this question thru email (which in fact is not the case). I do not use any security software. The original DNS is somewhat problematic. It occasionally stops working after changing wifi. That's why I set it to a popular public DNS.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 13, 2022 7:48 AM in response to HWTech

Sorry for mistakenly clicking the "solved" button and for the delay of updating this. It is my first time to ask questions in Apple community and I think they will notify me any update of this question thru email (which in fact is not the case). I do not use any security software. The original DNS is somewhat problematic. It occasionally stops working after changing wifi. That's why I set it to a popular public DNS.

Apr 7, 2022 8:07 PM in response to Wtao6

Are you running any anti-virus apps, cleaning apps, or third party security software that may be interfering with the normal operation of macOS? Try booting into Safe Mode which should disable Login Items and third party drivers.

Try creating a new user account. Log out of your main user account and log into the new user account. See how this new user account works first with the default macOS network settings, then after a few days try using your custom DNS settings.

Try reinstalling macOS over top of itself. If that fails, then perhaps you need to resort to a clean install by first erasing the drive before reinstalling macOS. Make sure to test your Mac before installing any third party apps and before migrating/restoring from a backup. Make sure to test the default macOS network settings, then just customize your DNS settings and test some more. It would be best to create new Network Locations for the various custom network settings so that you can change back and forth between the default settings and your custom settings.

I agree with @ku4hx's suggestion for configuring the router with the custom settings instead as that will automatically provide those same custom DNS settings to all of your other devices connected to the home network while keeping each device's network settings at system defaults which is a much safer & usually more stable setup.

DNS doesn't work, though I can ping it. Adding a new one can solve the problem temporarily.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.