Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac was connected to tv, TV not working now computer is dead

So at some point today I think my Roku tv blew itself up or something because it is dead as a doornail. It seems my Mac, and cable box (aka everything connected to the tv) are in similar situations. Could the tv have created a surge through the hdmi? And now is there anything I can do for my laptop?

Posted on Sep 15, 2019 6:27 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 15, 2019 7:21 PM

Make sure to unplug all external devices from the laptop.

Try an SMC reset. If the laptop can power on, then also try a PRAM reset (hold the PRAM reset for a full minute so it activates several times).

If this does not work, then you will need to take the laptop to Apple or an Apple Authorized Service Provider for repair. You may want to take the HDMI cable along as well to be examined in case it is the source of the problem or it might show symptoms of the damage.

For your other electronics, unplug them and hold the power button for each device for 10 seconds. Leave these devices unplugged for 10 minutes. Disconnect the cables connecting them to each other. Try powering on each device individually to see if they even respond, then connect them back together. Try other non-hdmi video cable options if they are available to bypass any damaged hdmi ports. Does your TV power on without any video cables or antenna source connected where you can access the TV's menus?

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 15, 2019 7:21 PM in response to Helpme365please

Make sure to unplug all external devices from the laptop.

Try an SMC reset. If the laptop can power on, then also try a PRAM reset (hold the PRAM reset for a full minute so it activates several times).

If this does not work, then you will need to take the laptop to Apple or an Apple Authorized Service Provider for repair. You may want to take the HDMI cable along as well to be examined in case it is the source of the problem or it might show symptoms of the damage.

For your other electronics, unplug them and hold the power button for each device for 10 seconds. Leave these devices unplugged for 10 minutes. Disconnect the cables connecting them to each other. Try powering on each device individually to see if they even respond, then connect them back together. Try other non-hdmi video cable options if they are available to bypass any damaged hdmi ports. Does your TV power on without any video cables or antenna source connected where you can access the TV's menus?

Mac was connected to tv, TV not working now computer is dead

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.