Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

problems with Save As

I have recently updated to Mojave 10.14.6. I am having numerous difficulties with trying to use the Save As function. When I try to use Save As, the application crashes. So far, I've noticed this happening with Preview, Microsoft Word for Mac 2016, and Adobe Acrobat DC. Right-clicking on the Dock says Application Not Responding and the only way to fix it (for that app) is to Force Quit. What's really interesting is that once it starts in one application, then I can no longer Save As in any application. Every application crashes. At that point, I have to restart the computer and I can again use Save As. For a while. Then, it starts acting up again. I'm tired of all the frequent restarts. I'd appreciate any ideas about what's going on. This never happened prior to updating from High Sierra to Mojave using the same apps as I'm using now.

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Sep 15, 2019 6:55 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 15, 2019 8:48 PM

I understand attempting to use "Save As..." in one application works for a while after a reboot, but it eventually causes that app to crash. Then, other applications become affected in the same manner.

That problem seems to imply a flawed macOS installation, justifying a reinstallation according to Reinstall macOS - Apple Support.

You might be able to install just the macOS 10.14.6 "Combo" updater: Download macOS Mojave 10.14.6 Combo Update. Try that first.

Neither one of those actions will cause you to lose any User Account information or data, but you should maintain backups as a matter of course, even if your Mac were working perfectly. To learn how to use Time Machine please read Back up your files with Time Machine on Mac.

Needless to say, if you are using—or have used at any time in the past—any non-Apple "anti-virus", "cleaning", or "Internet security" junk, anything at all in that broad category of useless garbage, don't. A lot of things won't work if you do.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 15, 2019 8:48 PM in response to William M.

I understand attempting to use "Save As..." in one application works for a while after a reboot, but it eventually causes that app to crash. Then, other applications become affected in the same manner.

That problem seems to imply a flawed macOS installation, justifying a reinstallation according to Reinstall macOS - Apple Support.

You might be able to install just the macOS 10.14.6 "Combo" updater: Download macOS Mojave 10.14.6 Combo Update. Try that first.

Neither one of those actions will cause you to lose any User Account information or data, but you should maintain backups as a matter of course, even if your Mac were working perfectly. To learn how to use Time Machine please read Back up your files with Time Machine on Mac.

Needless to say, if you are using—or have used at any time in the past—any non-Apple "anti-virus", "cleaning", or "Internet security" junk, anything at all in that broad category of useless garbage, don't. A lot of things won't work if you do.

problems with Save As

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.