Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

macbook pro 2018 finger print scanner not reading

I have a 2018 Macbook Pro and for a while, my touch ID worked fine and I almost never had to actually enter my password. The past couple weeks, however, the scanner stopped working often, and now it I tried following tutorials online to fix it, but they involve deleting then adding the finger print back in, but now I've deleted the finger prints and can't add them back because the scanner doesn't register that there's anything to scan. I've tried rebooting, updating the iOS, and rebooting again, but I'm not sure what to try next. Any suggestions?

Posted on Sep 16, 2019 8:06 AM

1 reply

Sep 17, 2019 7:03 AM in response to bk_99

Hi bk_99,

Welcome to Apple Support Communities. I understand that you're experiencing the inability to use Touch ID on your MacBook Pro. I'll be happy to help and point you in the right direction.

I recommend resetting the System Management Controller (SMC) on your Mac. This can help with the issue you're experiencing with Touch ID. Here's a helpful article on how to perform this step, along with additional details: How to reset the System Management Controller (SMC) on your Mac Specifically you'll want to follow the section that says, "How to reset the SMC on a Mac that has the Apple T2 Security Chip."

In addition, I recommend making sure you have the latest macOS software installed on your MacBook Pro. This helps provide software improvements and enhanced security updates. If needed, here's how to properly install the macOS update: How to update the software on your Mac

Cheers!

macbook pro 2018 finger print scanner not reading

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.