You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

New MacBook Air. 15"; Apple M2; 16GB; Sonoma 14.0. Fingerprint works great on all apps but doesn't work on lock screen after 15 minutes or so. Am I doing something wrong?

Having to enter the PW on lock screen every time is a pain. If I delete the print and redo it, it works fine on initial use with lock screen and apps. If I quit and come back in half an hour, the fingerprint no longer works on the lock screen but works on the apps. Makes me think there's a glitch in the lock screen process that loses connection with the stored print.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Oct 10, 2023 12:40 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 10, 2023 1:38 PM

I don't think your fingerprint option is the issue.

Have you tried changing the length of time your Mac requires a password after the screensaver starts?

Go to System Settings and change it as per the attached screenshot. (Mine is set to Immediately because my Apple Watch automatically unlocks it for me).

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Oct 10, 2023 1:38 PM in response to wbever

I don't think your fingerprint option is the issue.

Have you tried changing the length of time your Mac requires a password after the screensaver starts?

Go to System Settings and change it as per the attached screenshot. (Mine is set to Immediately because my Apple Watch automatically unlocks it for me).

New MacBook Air. 15"; Apple M2; 16GB; Sonoma 14.0. Fingerprint works great on all apps but doesn't work on lock screen after 15 minutes or so. Am I doing something wrong?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.