Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Imac Freezing

Hi. My late 2011 imac has suddenly decided to start freezing on me.

When it happens, all I can do is move the mouse.

I have had to shut it down manually.

Here is a copy of the EtreCheck report.

Any help would be much appreciated.

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Sep 17, 2019 5:02 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 17, 2019 5:57 AM

Before you do ANYTHING backup your computer using Time Machine, there is no backup on this machine and this is a guarantee of lost data.

Your problem is likely caused because you have multiple antivirus and other third party "security" apps installed on the computer. Mac OS is EXTREMELY secure and does not benefit from nor does it require any antivirus, cleaning or ANY other third party "maintenance" apps. If simply kept up-to-date and other wise left alone Mac OS will run well for many years for most users. It is when users introduce app such as described above that Mac OS becomes unstable and machine exhibit different types of trouble. Please locate the developers instructions for uninstalling all of the antivirus & security apps you have installed and your machine may be okay.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 17, 2019 5:57 AM in response to VirusBarrier50

Before you do ANYTHING backup your computer using Time Machine, there is no backup on this machine and this is a guarantee of lost data.

Your problem is likely caused because you have multiple antivirus and other third party "security" apps installed on the computer. Mac OS is EXTREMELY secure and does not benefit from nor does it require any antivirus, cleaning or ANY other third party "maintenance" apps. If simply kept up-to-date and other wise left alone Mac OS will run well for many years for most users. It is when users introduce app such as described above that Mac OS becomes unstable and machine exhibit different types of trouble. Please locate the developers instructions for uninstalling all of the antivirus & security apps you have installed and your machine may be okay.

Oct 15, 2019 3:38 PM in response to VirusBarrier50

I had the same problem yesterday. My iMac kept freezing and was running very slowly. I rang Apple Support 0800 127753 and got help immediately. She asked me to do a reset (press power button +P +R keys and hold all three down while it restarts. Then I had to turn the power off at the wall, pull out the plug from the back of my computer and then put it all back and restart. It now runs perfectly again. Apple Support was fantastic.

Imac Freezing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.