Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I register my voice to make a CD without an external micro? I Have Sierra 10.12.6

Can I register my voice to make a CD without an external micro? I Have IMAC with Sierra 10.12.6. Thank you?

Posted on Sep 17, 2019 8:29 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 17, 2019 9:29 AM

One option is to use the GarageBand application that is included with Macs.

First open the GarageBand app, the create a new project.

Next open the System Preferences/Sound, click on the input tab.

• Click on the Input tab and select the built-in microphone and then set the Input Volume slider to the appropriate level

This article provides additional information for recording audio. You have an older version of macOS than I am using, so some of the menus may differ slightly.

GarageBand for Mac: Before recording audio

GarageBand for Mac: Record sound from a microphone or an electric instrument

You may need to turn the speaker volume down to avoid feedback.

Once you've completed your audio recording then use the instructions in this Apple article to burn a CD.

GarageBand for Mac: Burn songs to CD

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 17, 2019 9:29 AM in response to gisele77

One option is to use the GarageBand application that is included with Macs.

First open the GarageBand app, the create a new project.

Next open the System Preferences/Sound, click on the input tab.

• Click on the Input tab and select the built-in microphone and then set the Input Volume slider to the appropriate level

This article provides additional information for recording audio. You have an older version of macOS than I am using, so some of the menus may differ slightly.

GarageBand for Mac: Before recording audio

GarageBand for Mac: Record sound from a microphone or an electric instrument

You may need to turn the speaker volume down to avoid feedback.

Once you've completed your audio recording then use the instructions in this Apple article to burn a CD.

GarageBand for Mac: Burn songs to CD

Sep 17, 2019 9:27 AM in response to gisele77

You may be able to. I don't know exactly what model and year of IMAC you have, but thanks to your posting, I know you're running Sierra. Ah---- apparently most IMAC's have a built in microphone. You'd have to change the sound input, under system preferences, then sound, then input, to built in microphone, then away you go. I think Apple has something called "Voice memos" and probably has dictation built in, but that's not really what you want, is it ? So---in answer to your question, the answer is "yes, you can"

john b

Sep 17, 2019 3:21 PM in response to gisele77

So—gisele77, you’d have to go to about this mac, then software update, assuming GarageBand came from the App Store or from apple at some point, it should find an update for it. Otherwise try the usual panaceas; reset smc/pmu and zap pram, how to do that can be found on apple’s support page for desktop computers, and I forgot: voice memos was part of mojave and not sierra. Rats. Otherwise maybe try audacity, which is free and should work with sierra

jb

Can I register my voice to make a CD without an external micro? I Have Sierra 10.12.6

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.