Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Announcement

Introducing the iPad Pro with Apple M4 chip, the redesigned iPad Air in two sizes, and the all‑new Apple Pencil Pro. Watch the event >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad pro got water damage

It rained heavily this morning, while the ipad was in my schoolbag and got water inside the screen. I've blowed it with a hair drier about 10 mins. Everything else seem good till now. What should I do?

iPad Pro 11-inch Wi-Fi

Posted on Sep 17, 2019 10:35 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 17, 2019 11:17 AM

It's gone. Certainly if you want a fix from Apple or an authorized representative, they won't offer anything else other than a service replacement, which may be new or refurbished, but will carry a modified model number. That's the only way Apple does any "repair" on an iPad model. There will also only be two prices - a battery replacement (if nothing else is damaged) or a "screen damage" replacement for anything else.

Frankly I don't think even outside repair shops would recommend attempting to repair it other than to recover data.

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 17, 2019 11:17 AM in response to Tara_tt

It's gone. Certainly if you want a fix from Apple or an authorized representative, they won't offer anything else other than a service replacement, which may be new or refurbished, but will carry a modified model number. That's the only way Apple does any "repair" on an iPad model. There will also only be two prices - a battery replacement (if nothing else is damaged) or a "screen damage" replacement for anything else.

Frankly I don't think even outside repair shops would recommend attempting to repair it other than to recover data.

Sep 17, 2019 12:01 PM in response to Tara_tt

Tara_tt wrote:

I've blowed it with a hair drier about 10 mins.

If something like this ever happens again, do NOT use a hair dryer on the device. You'll just make things worse. The hair dryer can force water deeper into the device.

Dry the device off with a clean, dry cloth. Let it sit some place dry for 2-3 days before even attempting to power it on again.

Sep 18, 2019 8:13 PM in response to Tara_tt

It may not matter at this point.

Water and electricity do not mix.

The damage has been done.

Even if you are able to get all the water to dry up in your iPad, and the iPad appears to still work OK, your iPad is on borrowed time, now.

If you haven't done so in the past, once this iPad is dry and if it is still working, best before going back to trying to regularly using it, backup this iPad to iCloud and/or iTunes on a real computer or other online, offsite, true data storage backup services like Google Drive/Photos, Flickr ( for images ), DropBox, BOX or other similar data storage services.

The reality is, now, that your iPad could fail at anytime, now.

Sorry & Best of Luck to You!

Sep 19, 2019 10:08 AM in response to Tara_tt

FYI,

You should be backing up any iDevices on a regular/semi-regular basis, anyhow.

These devices can fail at anytime for any reason.

Computers and mobile computing devices should be getting backed up, at the very least, once or twice a month, if not more.

Many iDevice users never think their devices will ever fail and put their whole entire lives’ worth of data on these devices.

When the unthinkable happens, with absolutely NO computer/mobile device backup anywhere, these users end up losing all of their precious stored data and memories in the damaged or failed device or computer.

A very sad and painful lesson.

Sep 19, 2019 11:58 AM in response to MichelPM

MichelPM wrote:
When the unthinkable happens, with absolutely NO computer/mobile device backup anywhere, these users end up losing all of their precious stored data and memories in the damaged or failed device or computer.

It is certainly possible to recover data from a damaged device, but in the end it's far simpler and cheaper to just back it up. Most people do have the equipment to do it.

And sometimes I don't get the rationale behind not doing it. My dad asked me to help him set up a backup in anticipation of an iPhone battery service because they recommended it and told him that they could theoretically wipe it. He's got tons of irreplaceable photos but then got impatient and got it done although it wasn't wiped. My wife has resisted allowing me to make a newer backup, although I know she would be yelling at me if somehow all the data was lost. A lot of people do rationalize that "it won't happen to me."

Sep 19, 2019 1:53 PM in response to MichelPM

MichelPM wrote:
Many people who purchase computers and mobile computing devices ( again, a mobile, portable computer, NOT unlike a laptop ) think that this stuff is infallible and will just work forever and ever and never, ever fail.
“Its a computer! What could happen?...”

I have an iPad Mini 2 that no longer turns on. Granted a friend got it fixed up earlier fairly cheap overseas and I have the feeling that it's just a failed battery, but unless I get it fixed I'm not going to be able to recover a few photos.

However, I've experienced hard drive failure - including physical crashes, bad bearings, and a corrupted volume. I haven't had any flash based device fail on me yet, but I've worked tangentialy in the flash memory industry and know all about what soft errors can do as well as inevitable degradation of cells. None of the modern, inexpensive solid-state memory technologies could exist without error correction using extra bits, wear leveling, or whatnot. And they do work pretty well since the most common reason why data is lost now with solid-state memories is that the host device is damaged.

Maybe there's hope in the future with things like Intel/Micron and their 3D XPoint technology (which they claim has no specified wear) , but even that's not going to matter if the device is damaged by water.

iPad pro got water damage

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.