Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Email forced popup

On both my MacBook and my moms MacBook Pro our email page will randomly pop up and take over the screen every 30 minutes or so. It is only when the app is open in the background, it seems like it is doing a refresh, but it shouldn't have to take over half the screen to do one.

I have tried closing the app, restarting the computer, calling apple support and still nothing. Seems like a bug to this particular update as it wasn't happening to both of our laptops a few months ago. Please help me figure out how to stop this.

MacBook

Posted on Sep 17, 2019 8:15 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 18, 2019 6:53 PM

katepecora wrote:

Any idea if there is a way to turn off this setting?

There is no setting to turn off, but you can remove your Google Mail account from Mail and use Google's webmail client instead—which is probably what Google wants you to do, so they can inundate you with even more advertisements.

Better yet, uninstall Google from your Mac. Installing Google infests a Mac in the same manner as a "computer virus", if such a thing exists on a Mac, which it doesn't. Google does that so that it can continually harvest your personal information and sell it. I don't let Google anywhere near any of my Macs.

Since its inception Apple has bent over backwards in an effort to make Google's highly nonstandard email service work with their Mail client. Perhaps Apple will block Google from their recent behavior, or not. Perhaps Google will again seek to circumvent it, or not. Regardless of that outcome, Google's pursuit of your personal information will continue at your expense. Whether you want to tolerate that is for you to decide.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 18, 2019 6:53 PM in response to katepecora

katepecora wrote:

Any idea if there is a way to turn off this setting?

There is no setting to turn off, but you can remove your Google Mail account from Mail and use Google's webmail client instead—which is probably what Google wants you to do, so they can inundate you with even more advertisements.

Better yet, uninstall Google from your Mac. Installing Google infests a Mac in the same manner as a "computer virus", if such a thing exists on a Mac, which it doesn't. Google does that so that it can continually harvest your personal information and sell it. I don't let Google anywhere near any of my Macs.

Since its inception Apple has bent over backwards in an effort to make Google's highly nonstandard email service work with their Mail client. Perhaps Apple will block Google from their recent behavior, or not. Perhaps Google will again seek to circumvent it, or not. Regardless of that outcome, Google's pursuit of your personal information will continue at your expense. Whether you want to tolerate that is for you to decide.

Sep 17, 2019 8:27 PM in response to katepecora

Are you using Google for your email service provider, or did you install some other Google product or service?

A number of similar posts conclude that if you installed Google, that's the way Google wants your Mac to work:

Issues with mail app constantly automatic… - Apple Community

Those reports are identical to yours: Mail opens every thirty minutes or so.

Sep 18, 2019 5:33 PM in response to John Galt

Ugh how unfortunate. I do have 3 gmail accounts. Any idea if there is a way to turn off this setting? Google is not granted any privacy access from what I can see. I went through and deleted the chrome app, but if its an issue related to the mail server only, I'm not quite sure what to do.

Seems like a relatively recent problem from what all the others are asking. Hopefully the next update will catch it.

Email forced popup

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.