Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Creating a multi-page document in Preview

Greetings all,

I am trying to use "Preview" to create a multi-page pdf document by combining separate documents into a single expression. Should be simple enough, but, even following stock Apple Support instructions such as this:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202945

proves futile. Instructions as posted do not match what is present on my desktop.

For the record, and as an example, I have two scanned one-page documents that have been rendered as JPGs, and I wish to combine them and export them into a single PDF file. Following the instructions in the quoted article has never yielded success. For instance:

• Line 3 states this "To indicate where to insert the other document, select a page thumbnail."

This is unclear, is it referring to a current document you've opened (which, btw, is only one page, so in thumbnail view the page is pre-selected) or is it referring to the 2nd document you wish to add?

• Line 4 states this "Choose Edit > Insert > Page from File,* select the PDF that you want to add, then click Open." - this ALWAYS fails, as I choose Edit>Insert but that is as far as I can go, as the "page from File" is greyed out and rendered inoperable.

Saving as a pdf to my desktop will inevitably contain one one of any documents chosen for combining.

Any advice (and clearer than Apple instructions) wold be most appreciated.

Regards,

DLC

MacBook Pro

Posted on Sep 18, 2019 8:01 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 18, 2019 8:25 AM

you can add/combine jpg and pdf.

Open the side bar in Preview.

Read the first page into Preview or add it into the side bar by moving it into the side bar.

then select what you want on page two (jpg or pdf) and move it to the side bar, and on and on until ready.

Now select them all !!! in the side bar,

then in the Preview menu File select Print (at the bottom),

on the printpage, left below select "Print", then select "Save as PDF". Give it a name that you want and where you want it saved: then you have a one complete file of all pages.

Similar questions

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 18, 2019 8:25 AM in response to dncollins

you can add/combine jpg and pdf.

Open the side bar in Preview.

Read the first page into Preview or add it into the side bar by moving it into the side bar.

then select what you want on page two (jpg or pdf) and move it to the side bar, and on and on until ready.

Now select them all !!! in the side bar,

then in the Preview menu File select Print (at the bottom),

on the printpage, left below select "Print", then select "Save as PDF". Give it a name that you want and where you want it saved: then you have a one complete file of all pages.

Creating a multi-page document in Preview

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.