Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What happens when I turn off iCloud Photos and then turned on again?

So, I accidentally disabled iCloud Photos. Then, it says the saved photos on iCloud will be deleted in a month. So, I turned on iCloud Photos and undo disable and delete. But, it feels like nothing happens. What should I do? I need help!

iPhone SE

Posted on Sep 19, 2019 7:25 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 19, 2019 7:37 AM

Photos in the Recently Deleted folder will be removed after a month. Other photos in iCloud will remain there forever. When you turned it off did you say to delete the photos from your phone, or to keep them?

When you turn iCloud Photos back on they will download from iCloud, but only when you have a Wi-Fi connection, and the amount of time this will take depends on your connection speed.

You can check that they are in iCloud by logging in to https://www.icloud.com/#photos

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 19, 2019 7:37 AM in response to Hunter_Tabuzo

Photos in the Recently Deleted folder will be removed after a month. Other photos in iCloud will remain there forever. When you turned it off did you say to delete the photos from your phone, or to keep them?

When you turn iCloud Photos back on they will download from iCloud, but only when you have a Wi-Fi connection, and the amount of time this will take depends on your connection speed.

You can check that they are in iCloud by logging in to https://www.icloud.com/#photos

Oct 17, 2019 11:52 AM in response to Lawrence Finch

Yes I am logged in with the same account. I can see ~3000 pics on iCloud in my browser; these pics were on my phone before I turned icloud off by mistake.

When I selected Download and Keep Original, I didn’t see any pics coming into my Photos app. However, a few hours later, I got a notification saying that I’m running out of iphone storage. And when I deselected Download and Keep Original, the notification went away.

So my assumption is:

• Before I turned off iCloud by mistake, I had all those 3000 pics on my phone. They weren’t taking up that much iPhone storage because I had Optimize iPhone Storage selected.

• When I turned off iCloud, all the pics got deleted from my phone (along with other files in my Files app).

• When I turned iCloud back on, all my other files came back, but my pics didn’t. Now if I want my pics back, I have to select Download and Keep Original. However, this would mean that all 3000pics are downloaded to my iPhone, which my iPhone storage can’t afford.

If I am correct, my question for you is:

is there a way I can get the pics back in my Photos app by keeping the Optimize iPhone Storage setting On?

If there isn’t a way, maybe I can try:

1. deleting all my other files/apps from my to clear up enough storage to download the pics on my phone.
  2. Then I select Download and Keep Original.
  3. Once the pics are downloaded on my phone, I go in Settings and select Optimize iPhone Storage to clear up storage for my files/apps.
  4. Finally, redownload the files/apps back on my phone.

What happens when I turn off iCloud Photos and then turned on again?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.