Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari extensions limited

The Google Translate extension for Safari automatically disappeared today.

App Store link from Extensions in Safari reveals there are no free translate extensions now :-(

Looks like I will be switching to Chrome as the Google translate extension there works fine.

Do you know of a free Safari extension for translating web pages?

Posted on Sep 19, 2019 6:22 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 22, 2019 6:25 AM

I have exactly the same problem. The translate extension was removed after I updated Safari couple of days back. This makes Safari useless specially if you are browsing sites in a language other than your preferred one !

14 replies

Sep 25, 2019 12:34 PM in response to Michael Vallance

I noticed this myself, especially once I landed in Hong Kong and in Tokyo this past week, and was trying to read pages written in Mandarin and Japanese, but the extension disappeared upon updating the OS.

As per usual, Boneheaded Apple keeps changing the goalposts, always believing they know what's best for us (the consumer and the ones who sustain and justify their high stock valuation)!!! A very useful extension removed for no reason, other than to either (1) monetize the situation by forcing us to pay for some translation extension, to (2) control what we desire to do, even if that means making things majorly inconvenient for us, or (3) just to upset us (because we want to use a Google product that provides a service that they don't and won't)!!!

SMDH!!!

Nov 9, 2019 11:27 PM in response to Michael Vallance

I am really surprised that Apple doesn't have it's own in-house translation options... I mean Facebook actually offers translation based on the fact it know I speak English primarily. If another language is displayed it has a (show translation) and while it may not be great, I can get the concept. Same with it's other company instagram. they've had this for years. I'm just a nerd that loves to search books from centuries ago, that have images of what things looked like before WWI to see artwork that wasn't destroyed.

It sounds entitled to say "whaaa translate it for me" but we aren't. We are saying we want what he had back. Using translator actually was teaching me different languages. It's the first time in existence of mankind that you can read a book in some tiny far off place in the world, that may be the last of it's kind and even better you might get to read it without a biased translation "explaining" the author. just you (with a somewhat twisted version) at the point of the authors pen. It made me feel like India Jones... and for a small-business-owner-work-from-home-mom-of-kindergartner-and-terrrrrrrible-but-funny-two-year-old-wife-of-basketball-coach THAT IS SAYING A LOT.

You call it safari. a non English word origin for an adventures journey. without translate, it feels like safari park. a controlled environment with planned interaction. - I do love apple, I know you can do this and better than anyone else, and with the perfect name. - thank you!!

Safari extensions limited

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.