Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS 13 update bricked my iPhone SE

Yesterday, my iPhone (running iOS 10.3.3 at that time) offered me to update to the new iOS 13 release.

I started the update. After the download had succeeded, the usual progress bar was shown. Then the boot screen with the Apple logo appeared. I thought all is good, but I was wrong.

My device is stuck in a boot loop. The Apple logo is shown, then after 30 seconds (or so) the screen turns black for a second. Then the cycle repeats.

That's sad.

I'm now trying to recover it using "DFU" mode.

iPhone SE

Posted on Sep 19, 2019 9:47 PM

Similar questions

43 replies

Sep 19, 2019 11:04 PM in response to Tesserax

So far I tried a forced restart but that didn't help. Obviously, it just restarted the boot cycle.

Then I put the iPhone into DFU mode and let iTunes do its job.

iTunes found the iPhone and offered to "update" or "restore", see here https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201412

I clicked "update". iTunes downloaded the update, then the progress bar on the iPhone appeared. After the update was apparently finished, the phone rebooted - but just to enter the reboot cycle as before.

It’s so frustrating. I followed the official path and just did as instructed in Settings> General> Software Update. I still ended up with this problem!

The worst issue is that I created a backup before the update, however, that update file is nowhere to be found. Not in "%appdata%/Apple Computer/MobileSync/Backup". After the backup, I confirmed that the backup had succeeded by checking that iTunes offered me to restore the just created backup. I did not copy the backup file at that time, sadly.

Sep 20, 2019 7:53 AM in response to DanTheMan000

Looks like you tried just about everything you can possibly do to get this fixed. Sorry, it didn't work out for you. The only thing I can suggest is making a Genius Bar appointment at your local Apple Store or Apple Authorized Service Provider to have them take a look and get this resolved for you quickly so you can get back to using your phone.

Ref: Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options - Apple

Sep 20, 2019 9:08 AM in response to Tesserax

Isn't recovery (vs. restore) mode and DFU essentially the same thing? These links, and yours, seem to indicate it is. DFU just seems to be an older term (the DFU link is from 9 years ago).

Oct. 2017 https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7940102

"You'll want to plug the iPad in first to you computer, and then press the home button and power button at the same time until the screen goes black. 2 seconds after the screen goes black, let go of the power button, but keep holding the home button until iTunes recognizes the iPad in recovery mode. This is called DFU mode. Unfortunately if the iPad is disabled, a complete restore is the only option. I hope it's backed up somewhere."

If you can't update or restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

This article is about recovery mode.

Sep 24, 2019 12:36 PM in response to DanTheMan000

It is unlikely it is the update alone that is causing this, otherwise we'd be seeing thousands of topics about this and not just yours. You can take your phone to an Apple Genius Bar and see if they can get the update to work.

How to find your nearest Apple Authorized Service Provider (AASP) or Apple Authorized Distributor (AAD) - https://locate.apple.com/country

Genius Bar appointment - Unfortunately Apple has made this tricky to get to directly. Go to https://www.apple.com/retail/geniusbar/ > Get hardware help. Select your hardware and continue selecting options requiring replacing parts until you see "Bring in for Repair" --> Sign in with Apple ID

Jan 20, 2020 11:08 AM in response to DanTheMan000

Well, for all considering updating their iPhone through several iOS updates at once the moral of the story is this...

• make sure your devise it thoroughly backed up.
  • Make sure your devise is connected to a power source (preferably fully charged too)
  • make sure you have access to and up to date version of iTunes in case things don't work out when you try to update via wi-fi

there maybe more to add to this checklist, I will leave my fellow Apple users to add to it.

TTFN

Sep 20, 2019 6:55 PM in response to Limnos

They are very similar; however, the following would be the differences, as I know it:

Recovery is a mode that the device can be put in, that is used to upgrade and restore the device to a firmware using iTunes without providing the user with additional power or control. Putting the device into Recovery mode invokes the iBoot process (the bootloader in iOS devices), which in turn ensures that the user is actually attempting to install a signed firmware version that is equal to or greater than the one that's already on the device that's in Recovery mode.

DFU mode, or Device Firmware Update mode, is a special mode on iOS devices that allow the hardware to interface with the iTunes software on a Mac or PC, but without invoking the iBoot process. Putting the device into DFU mode means that the iBoot process and OS loading is bypassed in order to allow greater control and manipulation of the device using iTunes, and more importantly, the firmware that's installed, or about to be installed, on it.

Sep 20, 2019 8:25 PM in response to DanTheMan000

yes I also have an iphone SE also and updated to 13 today too. I had all kinds of problems also just getting the update to install. I even tried doing the update by plugging my iphone into my computer itunes and making that itunes do it. nothing worked. finally I synced my iphone to the icloud, went back to my computer itunes with my iphone plugged into it and made my computer itunes do a factory reset on the iphone then a restore all my iphone info from the icloud. it worked for me and I got new 13 ios. hope this helps you figure this problem out.

Sep 21, 2019 1:16 AM in response to Tesserax

Contacted Apple support today:

They first tried to find the backup file using a remote session on my computer - without success.

Then we went through the update process again using iTunes and recovery mode. The update succeeded (according to messages from iTunes) but the phone is still stuck in the boot loop.

They said that's all they can do and I should resort to a professional data recovery service.

Sep 24, 2019 11:51 AM in response to DanTheMan000

Today, I connected my bricked iPhone SE to iTunes in recovery mode and iTunes offered me to update it to iOS 13.1.

I accepted. The update proceeded successfully (the usual messages on iTunes appeared and the progress bar filled up to the end).

However, the device is still stuck in the boot loop.

Apple, get your act together and provide an update that actually works on all supported devices. It's a matter of quality insurance to find and fix these incompatibilites.

So, I'm now waiting for iOS 13.2 to bring the device back to life.

Nov 8, 2019 1:25 PM in response to Limnos

I followed the link given above (which leads to a page that points to HT201412) and the page suggests to update using iTunes. I did but the phone is still stuck in a boot loop.

Futher, technically my wording was incorrect. My iPhone is not really "bricked" as I'm sure that a restore would succeed. However, a restore erases all settings and content. That's something I'd like to avoid.

iOS 13 update bricked my iPhone SE

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.