Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

IOS 13 draining my battery!

I've had my iPhone Xr for two months. I could always charge it overnight and the battery would last most of the day but since I've updated to iOS 13 yesterday, I've lost 20% in 15 minutes and while barely using my phone I have 43% at 12 pm while it can usually last with 60% until 5 pm! what can I do to fix this horrible battery loss??

iPhone XR

Posted on Sep 20, 2019 2:48 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 22, 2019 4:01 AM

iPhone SE - battery drains completely within an hour after iOS 13 Installation even with no apps running. Previously could go most of a day without a charge. I reset to factory settings and then restored from backup, still battery drains out. If I put it in low power mode the drain only slows a little. Help- this is no good!

22 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 22, 2019 4:01 AM in response to wantsomehelp1

iPhone SE - battery drains completely within an hour after iOS 13 Installation even with no apps running. Previously could go most of a day without a charge. I reset to factory settings and then restored from backup, still battery drains out. If I put it in low power mode the drain only slows a little. Help- this is no good!

Sep 20, 2019 4:06 AM in response to wantsomehelp1

I have the same issue. Updated iOS 13 yesterday and all seemed fine. At work today with my iPhone 7 plus on charge for the last couple of hours. Picked it up to check emails and found it very warm and it did not appear to have taken any charge. It was sat at 54%. I've just hard rebooted it and it now seems to be cooling down. Battery percentage had fallen to 53% but plugging it back into the charger and it rose to 54%.

I'm going to see if there is any change in 30 minutes. Wondering if some app or something running in the background got stuck or something. We'll see....

Sep 20, 2019 4:06 PM in response to Lunar Jetman

Same issue with iOS 13 and iphone 7 plus 128gb.

Went to work, used the phone a bit more than usual for iMessage based texting, not much else (maybe viewed stock app once or twice.) screen brightness was a bit higher than usual so that could account for some of the battery drainage, but in general it shot down to 36% in just a few hours. Normally i go all day and I'm at 70%~ when I leave work normally. It shows 54 mins of iMessage app usage over past 24 hours, with iMessage consuming 31% of the usage statistics.

I've since tried closing all apps and it didn't seem to help too much. I plugged it in and in an hour and 15~ mins i'm at 58%. Feel like I'm usually at 70+% by that point.. will keep a watchful eye on it but so far seems to be draining faster..

Sep 24, 2019 12:49 AM in response to matt-young

Even I am facing the same problem. I updated to ios 13 the other night and I went to gym with 92% and came out of gym after 75mins with just 12%, all I was just running only music app in the background nothing else. I even had my BackgroundAPP Refresh turned off and location services/notifications disabled.

Looks like something has really gone wrong with 13

Oct 14, 2019 7:24 PM in response to wantsomehelp1

I have an iPhone XS. I had the same issue. I chatted with a tech at Apple. After checking my battery she suggested that I backup my phone and do a factory reset. After the reset I restored my phone from iCloud. The battery is back to normal holding a charge again and not draining quickly as it had been after the update. Hope that helps

Nov 11, 2019 11:44 AM in response to wantsomehelp1

Both iPad and iPhone are having this rapid drainage problem. It's been a couple weeks now at least. This is highly noticeable. I don't run that many apps. Charging is ridiculously slow. I'm getting maybe half the time doing the same exact things on the iPad before battery runs out. iPhone will just drain sitting doing nothing.

What do I need to turn off in the new iOS to stop this? They must have added something to cause the problem. I want it gone.

Dec 12, 2019 6:28 PM in response to wantsomehelp1

After update to 13.2.3 my battery draining within 2-3 hours with nothing running! After reading all the complaints online, I figured it may be a buggy install, but after installing 13.3, the problem remains. Battery health showing 100%. Charges without an issue, just starts draining with nothing running, on airplane mode. Putting it in battery saver seems to help (but only about 30 min). Of course as soon as its charged back to 80%, the battery saver turns off and the battery draining continues.

I've done the full factory reset - twice. One was doing a restore from a backup, the other fresh install.

Bear in mind I'm typically used to get 2 days of light use. So frustrating! Don't tell me its a defective hardware! This happened the minute I did the 13.2.3 update! I even considered backing down to an earlier build, but guess what? Apple decided to close the downgrading within a couple of weeks after the update (makes me wonder why!) This phone was one that the battery was replaced by Apple (iPhone 6s) about a year ago. I know it's an older phone, but it's perfect for me (I've owned an 7+, 8+, X and XS, but always came back to the 6s).

After the 13.2.3 update it's practically worthless. I love Apple, but their denial after denial of issues are getting a little irritating!

I'm writing this on my MacBook, watching my Apple TV, but my iPhone and Apple Watch sits on the charger because taking it off and watching the battery drop just ****** me off!

Anyone have any idea how to start a class action? I'm ready to start pushing back!

Dec 22, 2019 8:59 AM in response to matt-young

I have the same problem with my SE. Before updating to ios 13 all was well. I even waited until 13.3 before applying the update. WHAT A MESS! My battery drains extremely fast. Even while charging on a standard USB port it LOOSES capacity and gets hot. This is for days now, first all photos were tagged but this has been finished two days ago.

If only I could go back to 12.4... Android is getting more interesting every day.

Jan 13, 2020 1:26 PM in response to RGeorgeP

Same problem. But with my iPad Pro 12.9. Just since iOS 13. I don't do music, though. I've noticed it charges much more slowly and drains much more quickly since the upgrades in 13 started. In fact, I play one game that does do frequent up/downloads and at this point, if I play plugged, the battery actually drains while I play (the percentage goes down even while plugged in). I don't run multiple apps at one time and don't run Bluetooth. Basically, I'm doing everything the same and the iPad is becoming crap.

It seems to have developed a light leak, too. I agree with the statement above: Android is getting more interesting every day.

And my iPhone? Since the upgrade, it also charges slowly, and drains rapidly when just sitting doing nothing.

IOS 13 draining my battery!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.