Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time machine back up problem

For some months I have used Time machine to back up my mac. the last time was yesterday I backed up through it. But today when I connect the external HDD for backup, time machine says(Screenshot). I have no idea....

Posted on Sep 20, 2019 2:47 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 20, 2019 4:08 PM

Well, it's definitely not encrypted now. With local USB drives you are supposed to be able to encrypt them without erasing them (which you can't do with network mounted drives), according to what I've read. Can you click on the open System Preferences Time Machine pane and then click the "Select Disk" button and is the "Encrypt backups" option grayed out if the Elements volume is selected or is it black and can be enabled (don't actually do it yet)? Notice that there will be two Elements items in the list of backup disks - one has the TM icon and one has the USB icon -- on my system when the TM icon volume is selected the "Encrypt backups" is grayed out and when the USB icon selected it's not grayed out.

I am gonna setup a test case for doing this and see what happens before I tell you to do it on your system to avoid anything tragic happening. But that will take a while to do, maybe a couple of days or so -- if you want to do a little more research of your own or if anyone else here can vouch for that being OK to do now, that's probably worth waiting to find out before doing something that trashes your backups.

Good luck...

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 20, 2019 4:08 PM in response to ShahramSadeghi

Well, it's definitely not encrypted now. With local USB drives you are supposed to be able to encrypt them without erasing them (which you can't do with network mounted drives), according to what I've read. Can you click on the open System Preferences Time Machine pane and then click the "Select Disk" button and is the "Encrypt backups" option grayed out if the Elements volume is selected or is it black and can be enabled (don't actually do it yet)? Notice that there will be two Elements items in the list of backup disks - one has the TM icon and one has the USB icon -- on my system when the TM icon volume is selected the "Encrypt backups" is grayed out and when the USB icon selected it's not grayed out.

I am gonna setup a test case for doing this and see what happens before I tell you to do it on your system to avoid anything tragic happening. But that will take a while to do, maybe a couple of days or so -- if you want to do a little more research of your own or if anyone else here can vouch for that being OK to do now, that's probably worth waiting to find out before doing something that trashes your backups.

Good luck...

Sep 20, 2019 1:58 PM in response to ShahramSadeghi

What does the following Terminal command return (Terminal.app is located in the /Applications/Utilities folder) -- the TM disk should be mounted before doing this command:

diskutil list

You might want to change/hide any personal info (like the UUID number and whatever else you wish) before posting the results. You just do a select of the command and the results and do a Command+C and then post that back and then edit to remove stuff. The UUID is the 32-byte hex number that might appear.

Good luck...

Sep 20, 2019 2:07 PM in response to dot.com

Tnx for your help.

/dev/disk0 (internal):

#:                       TYPE NAME                    SIZE       IDENTIFIER

0:      GUID_partition_scheme                         251.0 GB   disk0

1:                        EFI EFI                     314.6 MB   disk0s1

2:                 Apple_APFS Container disk1         250.7 GB   disk0s2

/dev/disk1 (synthesized):

0:      APFS Container Scheme -                      +250.7 GB   disk1

Physical Store disk0s2

1:                APFS Volume Macintosh HD            207.4 GB   disk1s1

2:                APFS Volume Preboot                 45.9 MB    disk1s2

3:                APFS Volume Recovery                510.4 MB   disk1s3

4:                APFS Volume VM                      4.3 GB     disk1s4

/dev/disk3 (external, physical):

0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *1.0 TB     disk3

1:                        EFI EFI                     209.7 MB   disk3s1

2:          Apple_CoreStorage Elements                999.8 GB   disk3s2

3:                 Apple_Boot Boot OS X               134.2 MB   disk3s3

/dev/disk4 (external, physical):

0:     FDisk_partition_scheme                        *123.0 GB   disk4

1:               Windows_NTFS Sandisk                 123.0 GB   disk4s1

Sep 20, 2019 3:17 PM in response to ShahramSadeghi

OK, now open up Disk Utility and then select the Elements volume (don't select the drive but the volume -- ask if you don't understand the difference) and do a "Get Info" (right-click or control-click to get a menu and select "Get Info" or a Command+i should also work) -- what does it show for "File System" parameters (think it's the eighth item from the top) -- in fact just do a screenshot of that get info window (you might want to blot out the UUID values or at least most of them as they aren't needed yet).

This will tell us for sure what format the volume is as well if it is encrypted.

Good luck...

Sep 20, 2019 3:17 PM in response to ShahramSadeghi

OK, now open up Disk Utility and then select the Elements volume (don't select the drive but the volume -- ask if you don't understand the difference) and do a "Get Info" (right-click or control-click to get a menu and select "Get Info" or a Command+i should also work) -- what does it show for "File System" parameters (think it's the eighth item from the top) -- in fact just do a screenshot of that get info window (you might want to blot out the UUID values or at least most of them as they aren't needed yet).

This will tell us for sure what format the volume is as well if it is encrypted.

Good luck...

Sep 20, 2019 3:23 PM in response to dot.com

Tnx for help............here is the data on the Elements volume:

Volume name : Elements

Volume type : Physical Volume

BSD device node : disk3s2

Mount point : /Volumes/Elements 1

File system : Mac OS Extended (Case-sensitive, Journaled)

Connection : USB

Writable : Yes

Is case-sensitive : Yes

Volume capacity : 999.825.587.200

Available space (Purgeable + Free) :

Purgeable space : 0

Free space : 148.700.700.672

Time machine back up problem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.